Ultimate Subaru Message Board

lift blocks?

Uberoo

On EA vehicles when you lift it you put a spacer between the strut perch and the top of the strut thus spacing everything down.ala lift.On an Ej series car if you did that you couldnt fit bigger tires because the spring perch gets in the way.So to fit bigger tires on a EJ(the point in body lifting subies) you create an extension from the BOTTOM of the strut to where the strut mounts to the hub/spindle thus raising car further from the suspension.Again lift.What would happen if you did a Ej style lift on a EA car?Ie space the strut up from the hub?The way I see things I could make that extension because it doesn't need some 22.5* degree angle or whatever the existing strut blocks have.So would that work or does the strut continue further into the hub that I can't see?

There's a guy on here from Wisconsin (I forgot his name, but he picked up the topper from a buddy of mine...) who did just that. made a strut extension to fit between the knuckle and the strut. he had them machined, and said they fit so tight the tops had to be heated up a bunch to get the struts in them :Flame:

If I was going to go to that much trouble I'd probably look into custom longer travel shocks first. I know it can be done as I know someone who done it, but I'm not sure how.

Something about removing the inners of the original shock and adding insert type new shocks in the old casing..

Just a thought.

2 years ago I looked into that idea to offer in a kit, decided against it as it would require precesion machine work and welding, if I was to do my own one off I might take a secound set of struts , and cut the bottom off and use that bottom as a extension , might be able to slit the tube and clamp it over the stock strut , careful as you wouldnt want this to fall apart at 70 miles hour , comparing the EA and EJ the EA has more room for a big tire, the EJ bolts at the bottom, easy to lift with flat bar, the EA at the bottom is a round shaft in a clamped hole , more difficult

I am not talking about cutting the strut at all.The bottom of the strut has some mounting holes where it bolts to the knuckle.All I plan to do is simply put a spacer in between those mount points on the knuckle and strut..