Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1999 Subaru Impreza - Cat. Converter + No Start

Hi all!

First time post for me. I brought my 1999 (1999 and a half to be exact) Impreza in to the dealer for a couple things. Check Engine light + random/unpredicatable no start problems.

1. Check engine = new cat. converter needed. Dealer wants $1100 to change it - can I do this myself?? I'm not too mechanically inclined, but if it's a bolt on, I'll give it a go! Any manufacturer recommendations? Will the 1999 1/2 year model (it uses some 2000 parts I know) make a difference?

2. Dealer can't identify the no start issue. They say they checked all alarm/battery/starter and find no problems. Every so often (cold or warm engine), she won't start up. Key turns over, but no clicks, or any sound of a turnover. Dash lights up, but it takes about 20 strokes of turning the key to the ignition position and back for her to start up. Happens maybe once every other week. Any hints on what to look for?

Altho it's a 1999, it's new to me. Bought it off a friend and I've logged in over 50,000 miles on her in just a few years. Got over 110K now, and have had 0 problems (until these 2) until now. Love learning all about the world of Subaru. :)

OK first thing first, forget EVERYTHING the dealer has told you

EVERYTHING!

(they are incompetant).

You need to go to an autoparts store and have the codes read. That will give us a place to start. I will tell you right now 95% of the time a "bad cat" is a bad #1 O2 sensor. Even if it is the cat, you still need to replace this part anyway. So the part being cheap compared to a cat, no harm to replace the sensor.

Secondly the no start can be a few things. If there is no code thrown besides an O2 sensor, its is probably a camor crank sensor, or the coolant sensor.

Is there any pattern to when the car wont start, and what does it do when it doesnt start? Does it crank?

nipper

I will get the code and post it here. Thanks for the reply!! Is the O2 sensor easy enought to replace?

No other codes come up except for the bad O2. No pattern to when it doesn't start - sometimes it's in the morning (sat over night), sometimes at the end of an 8/10 hr idle period (work day) sometimes just after fueling up and trying to start her back up again to get on my way again.

It doesn't crank or anything. You can turn the key all the way over and the dash lights come on. I know the Crankshaft and Camshaft sensors were replaced last time I had it at the dealer. That seemed to solve the problem for a few months but it has since come back. Time before the dealer replaced the battery and that didn't help. I had them check the fuel pump too and they said that was fine. Got the usual "if it doesn't do it while we have it, we can't diagnose it."

OK your getting off easy here :)

O2 sensor looks simple enough, but it has had a happy life in a very hot place exposed to the road. It "just" unscrews.

The starter can be one of two things. It cna be the starter switch, but more likely the starter contacts. Do search here for starter contacts or solenoid.

how many miles?

nipper

I'll do that search as suggested & post up the code when I get it.

Mileage is 110K.

Thanks for going easy on a Jeep girl & hubby who have more practice at suspension lifts and big tires, than subby's & emissions!!

Funny you should mention that .........

Blu needs new struts and im thinking of a lift but am getting no where

nipper