Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'95 2.2 w/automatic in an '88 GL Wagon??

jarnkm

Acquired a wrecked '95 Legacy Wagon, Automatic, AWD, Low mileage and am considering "upgrading" one of my GLs. I have both a 2wd auto and a 4wd std. I am a retired/disabled import auto mechanic and have been familiar with Subaru since late '80s. My base knowledge and experience has been early Chevies and air cooled VWs (30+ years). However, other than a 2.2 into a VW bug, most of my mods have been basic add-ons with the Subaru. I am interested in just what from the '95 can be transfered to the '88, wothout major modifications. I am also a certified welder and do body restoration, as I can. The durability of the Subaru and the amount of negligence and abuse one will take simply amazes me.

Any ideas, suggestions, or sites I could visit??

I am also interested in the normal cruising speed and RPM of the 2.2 and 2.5, for longevity.

Thanks and keep on keeping on..............

the 95 Legacy is OBDII and will not be as easy as a 91-94 OBDI you can still use the block and trans though...

-=Suberdave=-

http://www.suberdave.com

Acquired a wrecked '95 Legacy Wagon, Automatic, AWD, Low mileage and am considering "upgrading" one of my GLs. I have both a 2wd auto and a 4wd std. I am a retired/disabled import auto mechanic and have been familiar with Subaru since late '80s. My base knowledge and experience has been early Chevies and air cooled VWs (30+ years). However, other than a 2.2 into a VW bug, most of my mods have been basic add-ons with the Subaru. I am interested in just what from the '95 can be transfered to the '88, wothout major modifications. I am also a certified welder and do body restoration, as I can. The durability of the Subaru and the amount of negligence and abuse one will take simply amazes me.

Any ideas, suggestions, or sites I could visit??

I am also interested in the normal cruising speed and RPM of the 2.2 and 2.5, for longevity.

Thanks and keep on keeping on..............

i have a ej22 and modified 4eat from a series 1 legacy in my 88 wagon.Engine fits no probs the auto fitted ,but i have a lift kit.Also know of another 88wag with no lift and the auto fitted.This by no means a simple bolt on,nothing is major mod though, sure the motor fits but there is all little bits and pieces like stripping a loom modifying the radiator or support panel.The auto need s the tcu and wiring added to the 88,custom crossmember .I originally had a 95 auto in my wag,there is not much difference externally up to 97.You've got the complete doner car and mech knowledge so its definately doable.I am not a mech and had never stripped a loom before i started,but i managed to build/mod a auto box and wiring ,build custom driveshafts,as well the engine side of the swap.I'll see if i can dig up some links i found useful during my build up.

i have a ej22 and modified 4eat from a series 1 legacy in my 88 wagon.Engine fits no probs the auto fitted ,but i have a lift kit.Also know of another 88wag with no lift and the auto fitted.This by no means a simple bolt on,nothing is major mod though, sure the motor fits but there is all little bits and pieces like stripping a loom modifying the radiator or support panel.The auto need s the tcu and wiring added to the 88,custom crossmember .I originally had a 95 auto in my wag,there is not much difference externally up to 97.You've got the complete doner car and mech knowledge so its definately doable.I am not a mech and had never stripped a loom before i started,but i managed to build/mod a auto box and wiring ,build custom driveshafts,as well the engine side of the swap.I'll see if i can dig up some links i found useful during my build up.

Greatly appreciated!! At 64, I still listen and hope to learn something new. I always told my son, grandson and all my mechanics to always listen to what another person says about what you are doing or attempting to do ... that age and experience are good but, even a total idiot might tell you something that you can use to benefit you .. sooner ... or later. In the automotive field, a picture can be worth well over a "thousand words". Thanks again and have a great week ......

If you can find a GL,GL-10, or Turbo Loyale with a *fulltime* automatic, you can use the crossmember from that. The trans should physically fit because from 88 up the 4EAT was offered in the "fulltime" cars. Only physical differences between those and a Legacy auto is the bellhousing.