Ultimate Subaru Message Board

3 days off!

So i have the next 3 days off. :) Sooo I'm going to work on my car. :headbang: I plan on putting a new (PAP) exhaust in, changing the oil, putting a new trunk lid on, replacing brake pads, replacing my belts and maybe doing a bit of body work if i feel ambitious. I'm planning on getting it painted in the next couple weeks.

Anyways i was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for brake pads? Are any brands better than others? I use them pretty heavily... :burnout:

Also... I haven't replaced belts or brake pads before, i know how to, just haven't done it yet. Is there anything i should look out for? Tips or tricks? Any EA82 quarks? :-\

After thought:

Is there anything i can do to the exhaust to do any of the following?

a.) Get better MPG

b.) Make it quieter and/or have more of a deeper sound

c.) Increase performance

I realize some of those are opposites, i just haven't decided what i want to do with it yet. Go for economy or performance.

Not a good idea to gut the cat here, still have emissions to pass.

The front brake calipers need to be turned in counterclockwise. They have the tool at almost all auto parts stores, its a little sqaure jobbie with nubs on it. If you want really good brakes, they will cost you around $40+/-.

The semi good one are about $25+/-.

Ceramic are the most expensive. I've never had them before, so I dont know much about them. They are meant to last a long time tho.

The next level down are the semi metallic mixed with another compound.

Long lasting with good performance.

The cheapest are the organic. Last only a year and fade quickly under heat/stress.

Not a good idea to gut the cat here, still have emissions to pass.

The front brake calipers need to be turned in counterclockwise. They have the tool at almost all auto parts stores, its a little sqaure jobbie with nubs on it.

This is important. You cannot simply use a clamp to compress the front calipers, because the E-brake is built into it. You have to turn the piston CounterClockwise as you push it in to reset the E-brake adjustment. It can be done by carefully grabbing the piston with a big pair of channel locks, but the $10 tool for the job makes it easier to turn and push at the same time. You have to position the piston so the notches line up with the pins on the brakepads before installation.

Ceramic pads will eat your rotors. Espescially if you don't use new or resurfaced rotors. Your rotor are not designed for ceramic pads. Use the good quality semi metallic.

Glad you quoted me on this. I re-read it and just realized I made a boo boo:rolleyes:

The caliper pistons need to be rotated clockwise. I need to proofread a little better.

Actually, I think one side goes one way, the other side goes the other way. I can't remeber. Just start turning them and it becomes obvious.