Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Grinding from 4th gear to 5th gear and stupid "Check Engine" light

Hi Everybody,

I got a new 2004 Subaru Impreza TS 2.5 non turbo and I hear grinding everytime I shift from 4th to 5th gear. It started couple of days ago and does not go away. I think it's even worse. Car has about 36.000 and was a brand new from lot. Also "Check engine" light went on yesterday. Does anyone have an opinion what could be wrong? Thank you very much for any kind of help.

Kristian

Does it have a warrenty, if so one word

DEALER!

Yes we can have lots of ideas whats wrong, but there are a few things you need to do first. Check the tranny oil level (look in your owners mnaul to see how). You can also get the tranny serviced. People will chime in about using redline lubricant.

Next have the codes scanned. It can be as simple as a loose gas cap. It cna be something more complicated. Any autoparts chain store will read the codes for you.

nipper

Hi Everybody,

I got a new 2004 Subaru Impreza TS 2.5 non turbo and I hear grinding everytime I shift from 4th to 5th gear. It started couple of days ago and does not go away. I think it's even worse. Car has about 36.000 and was a brand new from lot. Also "Check engine" light went on yesterday. Does anyone have an opinion what could be wrong? Thank you very much for any kind of help.

Kristian

by any chance was your engine running while you had the gas cap open? That triggers the check engine light on alot of newer vehicles.

Yes probably check the MT fluid level and type. Sometimes the synchros are kind of picky as to fluid type. Searches may turn up some results about the 'uncle scotty's cocktail' and as nipper said many like redline. Be cautious about mobil1 gear lube as they had issues with their high sulfur (good ep antiwear) or something eating up parts in the MT's.

The CEL/MIL has to be scanned to know what it is. Anything else is a guess.

RedLine MT90 is the tranny fluid being referred to and it can do wonders. It not only made the tranny in my 1954 MG TF far easier to shift, it dramatically reduced the gear noise, and rid the tranny of gear grinding unless I hurried the shifting.

Redline MTL took the 2-3 gear "snick" out of my 250K mile saab tranny too. Check with Redline about what they recommend for the car. I have not changed it in my 02 Legacy GT yet. That will be next summer.

Good stuff.

jack