Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Grinding from 4th gear to 5th gear and stupid "Check Engine" light

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kristiangl10

kristiangl10

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 30 April 2007 - 11:43 AM

Hi Everybody,

I got a new 2004 Subaru Impreza TS 2.5 non turbo and I hear grinding everytime I shift from 4th to 5th gear. It started couple of days ago and does not go away. I think it's even worse. Car has about 36.000 and was a brand new from lot. Also "Check engine" light went on yesterday. Does anyone have an opinion what could be wrong? Thank you very much for any kind of help.

Kristian

#2 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,603 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 30 April 2007 - 03:16 PM

Does it have a warrenty, if so one word

DEALER!

Yes we can have lots of ideas whats wrong, but there are a few things you need to do first. Check the tranny oil level (look in your owners mnaul to see how). You can also get the tranny serviced. People will chime in about using redline lubricant.

Next have the codes scanned. It can be as simple as a loose gas cap. It cna be something more complicated. Any autoparts chain store will read the codes for you.

nipper

#3 ericem

ericem

First Gen Legacy Master

• Members
  • 2,477 posts
  • CANADA Maple,ON

Posted 30 April 2007 - 03:37 PM

Hi Everybody,

I got a new 2004 Subaru Impreza TS 2.5 non turbo and I hear grinding everytime I shift from 4th to 5th gear. It started couple of days ago and does not go away. I think it's even worse. Car has about 36.000 and was a brand new from lot. Also "Check engine" light went on yesterday. Does anyone have an opinion what could be wrong? Thank you very much for any kind of help.

Kristian

by any chance was your engine running while you had the gas cap open? That triggers the check engine light on alot of newer vehicles.

#4 porcupine73

porcupine73

Obligate carnivore

• Members
  • 4,967 posts
  • Buffalo, NY

Posted 30 April 2007 - 05:48 PM

Yes probably check the MT fluid level and type. Sometimes the synchros are kind of picky as to fluid type. Searches may turn up some results about the 'uncle scotty's cocktail' and as nipper said many like redline. Be cautious about mobil1 gear lube as they had issues with their high sulfur (good ep antiwear) or something eating up parts in the MT's.

The CEL/MIL has to be scanned to know what it is. Anything else is a guess.

#5 gbhrps

gbhrps

User Awaiting Email Confirmation

• Members
  • 811 posts
  • canada

Posted 30 April 2007 - 07:28 PM

RedLine MT90 is the tranny fluid being referred to and it can do wonders. It not only made the tranny in my 1954 MG TF far easier to shift, it dramatically reduced the gear noise, and rid the tranny of gear grinding unless I hurried the shifting.

#6 jib

jib

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 173 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 02 May 2007 - 02:08 PM

Redline MTL took the 2-3 gear "snick" out of my 250K mile saab tranny too. Check with Redline about what they recommend for the car. I have not changed it in my 02 Legacy GT yet. That will be next summer.

Good stuff.

jack

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users