Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

1978 Subaru Wagon BMW Clone / Suzuki Samari Land Rover clone pictures

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 flagwindow

flagwindow

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Flagstaff

Posted 30 April 2007 - 02:16 PM

Well, I finally had something worth posting after visiting this site for almost 3 years. This weekend, after 2 years, we finished a majority of my 1978 Wagon. Since college, this is my 3rd Soob and think this one turned out pretty cool. I have a sickness like most of you and my "fleet" is sitting at about 9 projects deep. It was good to get the majority of this one done. The 78 got a full interior, paint/body work from a rusty basket case, Flowmaster exhaust, new glass, tint, Grant steering wheel, dash mat, STi shift knob, WRX floor mats and countless little missing OEM parts. The entire Soob has been gone thru mechanically as well. Runs great and sounds like a monster V8!

BUT...Before all you Soob diehards get your panties in a bunch, the BMW badges are there as a joke. You have never seen so many confused looks when I pull up in this thing! I am a total Subaru nut just wanted to do something a little different on this one. I had an indentical 78 Wagon back in the early 1990's and wanted this to be different.

Next up, a sound system and old school rally stripes, decals. This will eventually become a promotional station vehicle for a radio station I own in Flagstaff, Arizona. I also have a clone "Land Rover" for my house in Mexico that I restored as well.

Lastly, a special thanks to Todd (Subaru3) for all of the parts and advice during this restoration.

CHECK IT OUT HERE:
http://www.kodakgall...=fromshare&Ux=0

Let me know what you think.

Thanks Bill

#2 backwoodsboy

backwoodsboy

vintagesubaruparts

• Members
  • 1,058 posts
  • upstate NY, in the woods

Posted 30 April 2007 - 02:35 PM

That is VERY pretty! :headbang:

I would personally be MORE proud that it IS a subaru....and have the appropriate badging.....but the front is kinda BMW-ish, so its a neat concept.

All in all, GOOD JOB!:banana:

#3 flagwindow

flagwindow

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Flagstaff

Posted 30 April 2007 - 03:53 PM

Thanks. Forgot to mention in my original post...we got the A/C working and blowing ice cold as well! Crazy!

Bill

#4 Kostamojen

Kostamojen

From FF-1 to BRZ!

• Members
  • 1,692 posts
  • Roseville, CA

Posted 30 April 2007 - 07:57 PM

How did you get that steering wheel to fit?

I've got an extra wheel like that too... If I could get it to fit the wagon, it would rock!

#5 flagwindow

flagwindow

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Flagstaff

Posted 30 April 2007 - 09:40 PM

We had the steering wheel (circa 1995 or so) from a previous project. After several trips for a wheel adaptor kit to Autozone, Checker and Napa...no luck. I called Summit Racing directly for a Grant GT adaptor and horn kit (yup, the horn even works!) The closest they had was for a 80 Brat. A quick email to Todd (Subaru3) confirmed that wheel kit for a 80 Brat would indeed work and it did flawlessly. Took about 3 minutes to install! I am 6"5", 260lbs...so I really need to get some extra room and this smaller diameter wheel did the trick. And it looks like my Momo in my WRX to boot!

#6 Kostamojen

Kostamojen

From FF-1 to BRZ!

• Members
  • 1,692 posts
  • Roseville, CA

Posted 01 May 2007 - 11:47 AM

We had the steering wheel (circa 1995 or so) from a previous project. After several trips for a wheel adaptor kit to Autozone, Checker and Napa...no luck. I called Summit Racing directly for a Grant GT adaptor and horn kit (yup, the horn even works!) The closest they had was for a 80 Brat. A quick email to Todd (Subaru3) confirmed that wheel kit for a 80 Brat would indeed work and it did flawlessly. Took about 3 minutes to install! I am 6"5", 260lbs...so I really need to get some extra room and this smaller diameter wheel did the trick. And it looks like my Momo in my WRX to boot!

Cool. Is that part up on the Summit Racing site, or do I need to give them a buzz like you did?

#7 flagwindow

flagwindow

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Flagstaff

Posted 01 May 2007 - 02:08 PM

I just called the customer service # on their website, summitracing.com.

#8 Flowmastered87GL

Flowmastered87GL

WCSS Drunk

• Members
  • 6,125 posts
  • Portland, Oregon

Posted 03 May 2007 - 12:20 PM

if I recall the defender 110 and 90 are labeled so because of their wheelbase... you should measure the samurai wheelbase... make it the defender 75 or 80 or however long it is :lol:

#9 flagwindow

flagwindow

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Flagstaff

Posted 03 May 2007 - 05:05 PM

That is a great idea. I have been calling it a Dominator 45. The tires are Dominators and it was 1/2 the size of a Defender 90! I better stop by the Land Rover dealership this weekend and see if they have some Defender badges!

#10 SUBARU3

SUBARU3

• 2,734 posts
  • Dallas, Ft. Worth, Texas

Posted 03 May 2007 - 11:42 PM

Fantastic looking!!!! You did a great job!!

Todd

#11 DaveAP

DaveAP

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 386 posts
  • Prescott, Arizona

Posted 05 May 2007 - 07:08 PM

Hi Bill, nice suby.
Just wanted to say hello, from prescott.
I have a 78 (off the road), and 87 daily driver brat.
What radio station do you own?
take it easy, Dave

quote=flagwindow]Well, I finally had something worth posting after visiting this site for almost 3 years. This weekend, after 2 years, we finished a majority of my 1978 Wagon. Since college, this is my 3rd Soob and think this one turned out pretty cool. I have a sickness like most of you and my "fleet" is sitting at about 9 projects deep. It was good to get the majority of this one done. The 78 got a full interior, paint/body work from a rusty basket case, Flowmaster exhaust, new glass, tint, Grant steering wheel, dash mat, STi shift knob, WRX floor mats and countless little missing OEM parts. The entire Soob has been gone thru mechanically as well. Runs great and sounds like a monster V8!

BUT...Before all you Soob diehards get your panties in a bunch, the BMW badges are there as a joke. You have never seen so many confused looks when I pull up in this thing! I am a total Subaru nut just wanted to do something a little different on this one. I had an indentical 78 Wagon back in the early 1990's and wanted this to be different.

Next up, a sound system and old school rally stripes, decals. This will eventually become a promotional station vehicle for a radio station I own in Flagstaff, Arizona. I also have a clone "Land Rover" for my house in Mexico that I restored as well.

Lastly, a special thanks to Todd (Subaru3) for all of the parts and advice during this restoration.

CHECK IT OUT HERE:
http://www.kodakgall...=fromshare&Ux=0

Let me know what you think.

Thanks Bill[/quote]

#12 flagwindow

flagwindow

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Flagstaff

Posted 06 May 2007 - 03:00 PM

Fox Sports up here in Flagstaff. Love to see some pics of your 78.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users