Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Aux instrument cluster for an EA82

Considering what I've been though already, I was thinking of installing some semi-permanent higher accuracy items, such as:

Oil Pressure (instead of the "low" light.)

H20 Temp

Oil Temp

and some indicator lights for aftermarket equipage and non-indicated stuff:

Aux Fan On Light

Fog Lights On Light

Any input would be helpful, such as other items or better things. Thanks!

Last Subaru I had, I put the Walmart gauges in it... has 3 gauges, a voltage gauge, a temperature gauge, and an oil pressure gauge. Did what it was supposed to at least... better to get stronger lines though, so I hear.

It's easy to get a light for aux fan and fogs, maybe you can wire a light into the switch? I personally used to use those little Autozone lighted switches, but im SURE theres better than that... maybe?

best input i can come up with is the suggestion to mount it below the ashtray, in the center console. I'm not big on the whole "gauge pod" look; I have been negatively conditioned to think "ricer" when I see them. I agree wholeheartedly with the idea of adding the real gauges though. The digidash may LOOK cool but I think data is better than looks. I went from my 280Z with a tach, speedo, fuel/oil pressure, and amp/water temperature gauge, ALL numbered, to the 87 green digidash. I have 0-10 increments of fuel in my tank, 1-10 increments of heat in my water, and the oil idiot light. The TOD shows up WAY before the oil light.. I see my BRAKE FLUID light more than the oil light, and I have been pretty low on oil on this car :eek:

While im whining about the green digidash.. WHAT EVER possessed them to break up a 1000 RPM span into increments of 8?!?! "Yah, She's idling at about 625-875 RPMS......" My engine accelerates in pieces of eight! yours is an 86; does it have the amber digidash or the green one?

+1 on not trusting the walmart oil line; you dont want oil in your CABIN do you? not to mention the consequences to your engine of the potential oil leak...

Mine's the amber digi-dash and rpms go in increments of 50 less than 1000 and 100 for everything over 1000. being that it is digital i would have assumed 10's all the way, or even 5's or 1's.

The switch I have for the yet to be installed fog lights is of the "long with a dorky led at the tip" variety, and I was hoping to upgrade that to the "almost flat" switch similar to the power mirror L/R switch, with an indicator bulb somewhere for it. The led, IMHO, is too dim and does me nothing if the lights are on and they don't need to be because its sunny.

there's probably more that I could add on, volts/amps/something or even a calibrated fuel level gauge, it should be 15.9 gallons, right?

or not.

The lighted fan toggle switch is retarded. The previous owner of my brat rigged one up to be like fast and furious and it caused more trouble than it was worth. Those things wear out easily and you don't want it wearing out on you in the middle of summer traffic.

If you do, there is plenty of articles about doing headgaskets on here.

The lighted fan toggle switch is retarded. The previous owner of my brat rigged one up to be like fast and furious and it caused more trouble than it was worth. Those things wear out easily and you don't want it wearing out on you in the middle of summer traffic.

If you do, there is plenty of articles about doing headgaskets on here.

At least it aint your cheapy ignition switch when you're in the fast lane on the freeway in traffic doing 55 :eek:

The lighted fan switches broke on me too, but I perfected the pull, and roll wires together routine though :lol:

At least it aint your cheapy ignition switch when you're in the fast lane on the freeway in traffic doing 55 :eek:

The lighted fan switches broke on me too, but I perfected the pull, and roll wires together routine though :lol:

Im a victim of a warn out ignition switch in my brat as well, every Subaru key I have can start the darn thing.

Bueaty is that on cold morning I can go out of my apartment start the thing and take my keys out and lock the doors.

Im a victim of a warn out ignition switch in my brat as well, every Subaru key I have can start the darn thing.

Bueaty is that on cold morning I can go out of my apartment start the thing and take my keys out and lock the doors.

Same with my Z--Literally (the Z and the soob use the same key blanks :lol:)

*I* look at it as a FEATURE; who else knows about it that might ACTUALLY take advantage of your vulnerability?!?