Ultimate Subaru Message Board

A little outback Australia up the Murray River. 56k warning.

Phizinza

So the other week a bunch of mates and I headed off to a private property called Loveday 4x4 Adventure to enjoy some 4WDing and fun on the river.

If you don't know, the murray river is the largest river in Australia.

It was a 3 and a half hour drive there. So good for testing my Brumby's reliability.

Once we got to the property we headed to the camp site next to the river. We setup camp and the next day started the 40km 4WD track.

The track starts as a winding narrow track full of tight turns. It was heaps of fun in the Subies as we were told it's fine to rally on it as it's a 1 way only track. That's the frist time where I've been around more then 1 corner completely side ways right into another. (I've done plenty of sand drifing and stuff, but sliding around ever corner for a few miniutes of really hard driving is just so much fun.)

loveday_trip_16-04-07_lineup2.jpg

From left to right:

Toyota Land Crusier 100 series, 4.5L Petrol, Auto, live front axle, warn out Kumho AT's, stock as a rock.

Toyota Hilux 3.0L Turbo Diesel, IFS, Bridgestone Desert Dualers, stock as a rock too.

Daihatsu Feroza, 1.6L Petrol, IFS, live rear, new Kumho AT's, Stock as a rock again.

Subaru Brumby, EJ22, FT4WD with center diff lock, 27" Kumho M/T's, open front and rear diffs, 2" exhaust.

Subaru L-series 88 wagon, EA82 with weber, 26" Goodyear Wrangler TG's, welded rear diff.

After the rallying a mates white L series 88 Subie wagon blow a rear lower spring purch as he was using the Honda Accord springs and they wern't to friendly on the shocks. I headed to the nearest town with him in my car to try and find a replacement, then to the next town and before you knew it we were 50km away and still no parts. We headed back and decided to weld up the spring mount with some reinforcing. Silly us didn't think the shocks would be gas filled.. was fun to say the least.

loveday_trip_16-04-07_subaru_strut_welding.jpg

After that we continued on the track to a few hill climbs (sorry, no pictures of that only video which I am editing still.)

Then it headed around and to a mud pit crossing. Once looked like it was a creek, but with this drought everythings drying up pretty fast. The 88 wagon was the first to have a go, almost through then stopped. Reversed out (gotta love that welded rear diff.) Had another go and go through. Then it was me in the Brumby. Went in all wrong and almost through but not at the right angle. Reversed her up and she sunk into the water (which is, BTW, about a bazillion times saltier then sea water.) The Hilux snatched me out, then I had another go and got through alright. The others took the easier root through the mud and all was good.

Then it was off to the sand hills. Just tipical sand driving. I got stupidly stuck in the Brumby by trying to crawl up a hill, and got a push back down. Was all good.

loveday_trip_16-04-07_lineup1.jpg

We then headed back to camp and had late lunch and also had some fun on the river.

loveday_trip_16-04-07_riverfun.jpg

After the mud photo's:

loveday_trip_16-04-07_daihatsuferoza1.jpg

loveday_trip_16-04-07_subarubrumby3.jpg

The next day we headed up and tried out the perpose built 4WD track. With dirt drag strip! Any guess whose car won on that?

loveday_trip_16-04-07_subarubrumby2.jpg

loveday_trip_16-04-07_toyotacruiser1.jpg

loveday_trip_16-04-07_toyotahilux1.jpg

loveday_trip_16-04-07_toyotacruiser2.jpg

Hmmm, I wonder what happened there.... ahhahahahahaha, silly huge cars.

The 88 wagon blow it's other spring purch and it needed to be fixed up again. So we headed back to camp to do that and ended up only going out and playing in the dunes a bit more until dinner.

All in all it was a great week.

Hopefully I'll get some video up here soon, but for now check out my mates footage on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8obCF1Usm4

And heres a photo to finish with..

loveday_trip_16-04-07_subarubrumby1.jpg

I have sympathy for you not having t-tops in your brumby.

Yeah, I would really love them. But it's so hard to find a t-top brumby here for less then $5000 in just stock form. I paid $2900 and it came with 14"s and a 2" lift..

It's cost me around $6500 now I thinks.