Ultimate Subaru Message Board

knock sensor ?

i recently purchaced a 1986 gl-10 turbo wgn and the knock sensor is not hooked up and th plug is missing . there is two wires but only one post on the sensor , one red wire one green wire . if anyone owns one of these and can look to see how it hooks up that would be great . or any other useful information .

thanks griz272000

i recently purchaced a 1986 gl-10 turbo wgn and the knock sensor is not hooked up and th plug is missing . there is two wires but only one post on the sensor , one red wire one green wire . if anyone owns one of these and can look to see how it hooks up that would be great . or any other useful information .

thanks griz272000

85-86(and early 87 XT) Knock sensors have a two wire connection. 87 and up have a single wire knock sensor. Someone may have installed the wrong knock sensor in you're car. The older 2 wire style are expensive, and hard to find new. The single wire style on the other hand are pretty cheap and easy to find, so someone may have grabbed one of those but they are different. If you can find a used one, be carefull. The clip is probably gone because it is Really hard to get to the lock tabs on the plug, so ussually you have to cut the clip off. They are incredibly hard to remove without breaking, because just a slight *pry* to one side or the other will break the ceramic top portion. I ran my 86 turbo for 3 1/2 years with no Knock sensor until I finally found one to scavenge at a wrecker. During that time it ran fine, and I never really noticed a change when I finally installed it. If you find one, you can hook the either wire to either post. The pressure sensor for the Turbo light has the same connector on it. So if you get you're sensor from a J-yard, grab the connector as well. either from the knock sensor harness, or get the one from the *boost* sensor.

thanks for the input i thought something was goofy . my concern with the knock sensor being unplugged is ignition ping can take out a engine at least in my experience with mits. turbos it allows the computer to comp in timing through the ecm thanks alot for your help again

85-86(and early 87 XT) Knock sensors have a two wire connection. 87 and up have a single wire knock sensor. Someone may have installed the wrong knock sensor in you're car. The older 2 wire style are expensive, and hard to find new. The single wire style on the other hand are pretty cheap and easy to find, so someone may have grabbed one of those but they are different. If you can find a used one, be carefull. The clip is probably gone because it is Really hard to get to the lock tabs on the plug, so ussually you have to cut the clip off. They are incredibly hard to remove without breaking, because just a slight *pry* to one side or the other will break the ceramic top portion. I ran my 86 turbo for 3 1/2 years with no Knock sensor until I finally found one to scavenge at a wrecker. During that time it ran fine, and I never really noticed a change when I finally installed it. If you find one, you can hook the either wire to either post. The pressure sensor for the Turbo light has the same connector on it. So if you get you're sensor from a J-yard, grab the connector as well. either from the knock sensor harness, or get the one from the *boost* sensor.

thanks for the input i thought something was goofy . my concern with the knock sensor being unplugged is ignition ping can take out a engine at least in my experience with mits. turbos it allows the computer to comp in timing through the ecm thanks alot for your help again

This knock control system can only adjust 5 degrees. Timing is should be set to 25 degrees primary advance. Knock unit can retard base timing back to 20 degrees. If you experience any ping, say at high elev. or under heavy load, you could manualy set your timing to say 21,22 degrees? that should help. Mine never pinged, although i've never been over about 1200ft above sea level with it.

Actually it adjusts timing through a 15 degree range,-10 to +5.High elevation requires advanced timing not retarded.I wouldn`t run a turbo w/o one.

Nope, sorry buddy. 85-86 definately has a base timing setting of 25 degrees BTC. At high altitude(4000 ft) the knock unit does advance the base timing, up to an additional 5 degrees.I had it backwards. so from 25 to 30 BTC. Upon further reading, It appears the system does retard the spark under knock. timing can be retarded back to a max of 15 degrees BTC under ping. This is straight from the factory manual. I don't know where you got your info. But i seriously did drive the car without one for 3 1/2 years. No problems, no pinging.

Nope, sorry buddy. 85-86 definately has a base timing setting of 25 degrees BTC. At high altitude(4000 ft) the knock unit does advance the base timing, up to an additional 5 degrees.I had it backwards. so from 25 to 30 BTC. Upon further reading, It appears the system does retard the spark under knock. timing can be retarded back to a max of 15 degrees BTC under ping. This is straight from the factory manual. I don't know where you got your info. But i seriously did drive the car without one for 3 1/2 years. No problems, no pinging.

Dude, you are saying the same thing he is... knock conditions, retard up to -10 degrees, high altitude, advance up to +5 degrees.. net 15 degrees total change capable of being made by the knock sensor.

you retard :-p

(ive been a member for a YEAR now and thats the FIRST retard joke I've made. I feel somewhat proud of my restraint... :clap: )

Dude, you are saying the same thing he is... knock conditions, retard up to -10 degrees, high altitude, advance up to +5 degrees.. net 15 degrees total change capable of being made by the knock sensor.

you retard :-p

(ive been a member for a YEAR now and thats the FIRST retard joke I've made. I feel somewhat proud of my restraint... :clap: )

I see you're point. I though he meant -10 to +5 BTC for timing which would be wrong.. I get it now.

BTW, apparently he has 2 of them and connectors for sale. Check the marketplace forums.