Ultimate Subaru Message Board

oil filter

JWX

Everyone says get em from the dealer...... I just change my oil more often personally.

I change my oil in the wagon after every off-road run - especially if it's been in water....

The Brat gets it every 1000 miles or so. Sometimes as much as 1500.

The more often the better. And as long as you change them often, then the filter doesn't matter too much. Think I've got a WIX air filter on the Brat right now - seems fine. Better than the rag that was over the intake before..... heh

GD

I have used K&N oil filters (hp2008) and Mobil1 0W30 or 5W30 since I have owned the vehicle. Minus the last winter I ran Amsoil2000 0W30. 80 MPH almost every day, and I work at 1am so I get the COLDEST temps. in Wisconsin.

BUT: 1 quart of oil per 3K miles traveled and only a few drops on the ground. No noticable smoke ... whatever.

Chad

87 gl-10 turbo

At the auto parts store that I work at, we sell federated brand products, their premium line "Hastings" is also really good, and is as cheap as a regular fram filter at kragens. I would have to also concur that WIX is another good brand. However, just change your oil every 3 months or when its dirty, and I dont think it matters at all what you use... Its the people that keep the same oil in their car for 2 years *shudder* that need those high performance oil filters...

I always use purolator filters on my Brat. I get them from Sears. I always ask for a back shop filter which is the same thing as the ones on the shelf the only difference is they arent painted with the brand name graphics and only have the part # on them and they usually cost about 2 bucks. Cheap is good