Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey Guys:

Have a quick question about towing; I have 1997 Subee wagon, Legacy OUtback 4-wheel drive automatic. The question is; is it possible to tow this vehicle behind a camper with a tow bar, with all 4 wheels on the ground. I have 1992 all whee drive and the sticker under the hood says to put fuse in front wheel drive and not tow over 20 miles an hour. Is it the same for the 1997 or can I tow it?

All help is appreciated.

Thanks, Dennis

Here's some info from a 2001 endwrench article, not sure if it has been superceded:

Per Subaru, "Automatic transmission all wheel drive (AWD) vehicles can not be towed with any wheels on the ground. The vehicle can only be towed on a trailer with all four wheels off the ground. Transmission in PARK."

Manual trans vehicle you could do what you are proposing: "Manual transmission all wheel drive (AWD) vehicles can be towed with all

four wheels on the ground in neutral or with all four wheels off the ground on a trailer. Towing must never be attempted with only two wheels on the ground or two wheels on a dolly."

All of this is very discouraging since. I put my 96 Legacy outback AWD auto trans on a 2 wheel dolly with front wheels off ground, fwd fuse in and trans in neutral and towed it home when i bought it running at speeds around 45-50 mph. I must have got lucky or something since i don't seem to be having any problems with trans except a little tightness when i'm backing out of a pariking spot with the wheels cut sharp. However this does make me a little nervous. the guy at Earl Duff Subaru told me to do it that way though. i called and asked before doing it.:confused:

Hey Guys:

Have a quick question about towing; I have 1997 Subee wagon, Legacy OUtback 4-wheel drive automatic. The question is; is it possible to tow this vehicle behind a camper with a tow bar, with all 4 wheels on the ground. I have 1992 all whee drive and the sticker under the hood says to put fuse in front wheel drive and not tow over 20 miles an hour. Is it the same for the 1997 or can I tow it?

All help is appreciated.

Thanks, Dennis

:confused: Thanks guys! Guess if i want to go on vacation i ll have to walk to attractions! Dennis

The problem towing an AT without the engine running is that the ATF pump isn't turning. So the AT then has no lubrication or cooling. But the wheels turning spins parts in the trans. The binding afterward is because the clutch pack to transfer power to the rear wheels is not happy.

[quote=Jimmyowensfan20 I must have got lucky or something since i don't seem to be having any problems with trans except a little tightness when i'm backing out of a pariking spot with the wheels cut sharp. However this does make me a little nervous. the guy at Earl Duff Subaru told me to do it that way though. i called and asked before doing it.:confused:

You did not get lucky. You have torque bind. The FWD fuse doesnt work unless the car is on ( i think ... i'll have to check). The guy at the dealer needs to be shot, or he forgot to tell you to turn the car on.

You need to do a tranny flush to see if that solves the problem.

nipper

You did not get lucky. You have torque bind. The FWD fuse doesnt work unless the car is on ( i think ... i'll have to check). The guy at the dealer needs to be shot, or he forgot to tell you to turn the car on.

You need to do a tranny flush to see if that solves the problem.

nipper

correct , the FWD fuse only works when the car is on.

also, the rear wheels will spin by hand when the car is off and in park, but the rear shaft still turns the transfer clutches. so depending on speed and distance , you will damage that end.

ps: there is an end wrench article about how to check if your front and rear diff match. has to do with jacking up one side of the car, disconnecting the main wiring connector to the auto trans, putting the car in neutral and starting it up. this setup puts the car in 'locked' 4wd in neutral with both wheels on one side in the air. mark both tires at the 6 oclock position. now as you turn the front off-the-ground wheel by hand, the rear one should turn exactly the same. turn the wheels by hand several revolutions, they should end up with the marks in the same position.