Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

EA82 D/R Ring and Pinion?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 figone

figone

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Springville

Posted 07 May 2007 - 01:00 PM

OK... I'm getting a *pop pop pop* out of the drivetrain, sounds to be comming from the passenger's side (but that's when I'm sitting in the driver's side) that is wheel-speed (not engine speed) related. It pops when I'm going foward (but not reverse) and driving straight or turning right. No pops turning left, none when the load is taken off (such as when changing gears). The mounts look to be ok. It makes more noise when cold, then gets softer when warmed up. Once up to speed (4th or 5th gear) it seems to stop altogether, but that could just be that it's popping so fast I can't hear it anymore. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

#2 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 8,902 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 07 May 2007 - 02:02 PM

OK... I'm getting a *pop pop pop* out of the drivetrain, sounds to be comming from the passenger's side (but that's when I'm sitting in the driver's side) that is wheel-speed (not engine speed) related. It pops when I'm going foward (but not reverse) and driving straight or turning right. No pops turning left, none when the load is taken off (such as when changing gears). The mounts look to be ok. It makes more noise when cold, then gets softer when warmed up. Once up to speed (4th or 5th gear) it seems to stop altogether, but that could just be that it's popping so fast I can't hear it anymore. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

CV axle. Poping during turns, relative to vehichle speed, is a dead giveaway.

#3 Numbchux

Numbchux

EJ conversion addict

• Members
  • 5,985 posts
  • Duluth, MN

Posted 07 May 2007 - 02:45 PM

CV axle. Poping during turns, relative to vehichle speed, is a dead giveaway.

most definitely.

right side. when you turn right, the car leans away from that side, putting more angle/stress on that axle. when you turn left, it relieves the angles and stress....

#4 figone

figone

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Springville

Posted 07 May 2007 - 08:12 PM

Thought it was that, so I replaced both cv's with new, not re-man ones. No change at all, even immediately after the swap. Thanks,though.

Other ideas?

#5 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 8,902 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 07 May 2007 - 10:14 PM

I remember one time I got a cheap pair of front brake pads for my GL. They were missing the wear indicator/tensioner thing that is ussually riveted to the back of the pad.(the little flat strip or tab of metal looped over that starts to rub the rotor when the pad gets low). Well on Soobs it also holds the pads firmly in the brackets. Well these pads without it would catch on the rotor as it went round and knock back and forth in the brackets and make a sound I thought was my CVs for a long time.

Take the wheels off and see if your pads have the tabs. If not, see if you can shift the pads in there brackets and make a knocking noise. Could this be what your noise is? I ended up fashioning some thin strips of metal, bending them over, drilling a hole, and fitting them onto the pins on the back of the pad. Had to use a punch to flare the the pin out to hold the tab. I could have just bought new, better pads, but I was young and broke then.

I hadn't thought about that in years but it just occured to me that maybe?....

#6 figone

figone

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Springville

Posted 07 May 2007 - 10:49 PM

Wouldn't that cause it to happen even with the clutch depressed?

I'll check it out, though.

Thanks

#7 Numbchux

Numbchux

EJ conversion addict

• Members
  • 5,985 posts
  • Duluth, MN

Posted 08 May 2007 - 12:34 AM

yep, funky brake pads could also cause funky noises...

also wheel bearings, or even something as simple as not getting the axle nut torqued down enough

just judging by your description though, I don't think it's something in your tranny.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users