Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 D/R Ring and Pinion?

OK... I'm getting a *pop pop pop* out of the drivetrain, sounds to be comming from the passenger's side (but that's when I'm sitting in the driver's side) that is wheel-speed (not engine speed) related. It pops when I'm going foward (but not reverse) and driving straight or turning right. No pops turning left, none when the load is taken off (such as when changing gears). The mounts look to be ok. It makes more noise when cold, then gets softer when warmed up. Once up to speed (4th or 5th gear) it seems to stop altogether, but that could just be that it's popping so fast I can't hear it anymore. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

OK... I'm getting a *pop pop pop* out of the drivetrain, sounds to be comming from the passenger's side (but that's when I'm sitting in the driver's side) that is wheel-speed (not engine speed) related. It pops when I'm going foward (but not reverse) and driving straight or turning right. No pops turning left, none when the load is taken off (such as when changing gears). The mounts look to be ok. It makes more noise when cold, then gets softer when warmed up. Once up to speed (4th or 5th gear) it seems to stop altogether, but that could just be that it's popping so fast I can't hear it anymore. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

CV axle. Poping during turns, relative to vehichle speed, is a dead giveaway.

CV axle. Poping during turns, relative to vehichle speed, is a dead giveaway.

most definitely.

right side. when you turn right, the car leans away from that side, putting more angle/stress on that axle. when you turn left, it relieves the angles and stress....

I remember one time I got a cheap pair of front brake pads for my GL. They were missing the wear indicator/tensioner thing that is ussually riveted to the back of the pad.(the little flat strip or tab of metal looped over that starts to rub the rotor when the pad gets low). Well on Soobs it also holds the pads firmly in the brackets. Well these pads without it would catch on the rotor as it went round and knock back and forth in the brackets and make a sound I thought was my CVs for a long time.

Take the wheels off and see if your pads have the tabs. If not, see if you can shift the pads in there brackets and make a knocking noise. Could this be what your noise is? I ended up fashioning some thin strips of metal, bending them over, drilling a hole, and fitting them onto the pins on the back of the pad. Had to use a punch to flare the the pin out to hold the tab. I could have just bought new, better pads, but I was young and broke then.

I hadn't thought about that in years but it just occured to me that maybe?....

yep, funky brake pads could also cause funky noises...

also wheel bearings, or even something as simple as not getting the axle nut torqued down enough

just judging by your description though, I don't think it's something in your tranny.