Ultimate Subaru Message Board

A Small Truck

Ahhh ... home with the family.

I had a nice chat with my grandpa yesterday. He has my brother's old 86 GL sitting in front of his house.. it has a bad engine among numerous other things wrong with it.

Well, being the mechanic that my grandpa used to be, he swears he can fix it. But my grandpa doesn't want a wagon, he wants a little "Subaru Truck" like his friends have. A couple of his buddies have Brats and he wants to make the GL into a truck... I told him that I wanted to do the same thing... He was pretty excited but I just roll my eyes at the thought of him trying to work on that jizz monkey. I think its better off being parted out. oh well.. i'd better get going... need to pull parts... my dad tells me that one of the neighbors has thrown out some rims and a roll bar and misc other parts... wonder what they look like...

so now to the point... is it worth the trouble of encouraging my 90 yr old grandpa on his project or just keep an eye out for the brat? I hesitate to give him a brat since he can only drive 30 mph even on the hwy.. he sees things and i'm afraid he will wreck it...

thoughts?

Even conquering the myriad of problems with torsional rigity and how to reinforce the existing cab for safety sake once you cut into the roof line, onehas to beg the question: At 90, or even 80 (or 70) how do you want to spend you remaining time? If there is some quality bonding time to be had, maybe that would be a good use of time, but otherwise, he and you would be better off parting it out and picking up a Brat. Then spend some quality time out rallying in it with him. Andif you get him a really nice one, maybe he'll will it to you. (Maybe he'll be asked to be buried in it, though. Be careful not to make it too nice.)

Grandpa's 90 and he want's a Brat! That's great! He must be one of us. So are you bringing him on Saturday? I'd say pick up a Brat yourself and work on it with him. Or like Northguy said, maybe he can afford a really cherry one that doesn't need much major stuff and will it to you. Either way this guy needs a Brat fix and he shouldn't be denied.

I say both. Since he already has the wagon - keep it and chop it. As was said before - he's 90, and you can get some great quality time out of a project like that. I know my grandfather tought me a LOT about mechanics and just generally fixing things by the seat of my pants. Bailing wire, and a welder. hehe

I don't think you would have too many rigidity issues if you leave the roof on it over the front passengers. You might have to reinforce the sides of the "bed" to keep it from flexing over bumps and stuff.

And get him a cherry Brat too - sounds like he deserves it. There out there - if you stick to this board long enough, one will come up that's perfect. I've only been here a year, and I can't even count all the Brat's that have sold through the board in that time.

GD

• 2 weeks later...

Well, he never did get that Brat that he wanted.. never had time to carve up the GL either... *sniff* :( he's gone... went quite suddenly.. Another good GM (Cadillac) mechanic down... He leaves behind good memories, a close family, and 3 garages full of tools and a farm full of old cars.

I'm past the grieving.. its ok.. I can accept jokes..

Our family named the 86 wagon (white) the jizz monkey.. obviously for its color... because it could climb... (do you really want details here??) it spewed liquid from the engine.. and perhaps it had to do a little with male activity similar with a stick shift?

But I'm glad to hear he was active and planning projects right up to the end. When my Dad went last Jan. our last conversation was him planning to buy another old airplane to fix up and fly.

It's a sign of a good life when you get caught by surprise right in the middle of living.