Ultimate Subaru Message Board

For those in rust free lands:

I am parting out an 86 Gl-10 right now because of rust like that. The car just feels too flexible and shaky to trust anymore. Bucky, If you're XT6 looks like that I hope you are not going to sink TOO much into him. It's all but impossible too stop rust that has gotten to that point. You'd basically have to replace the everything but the roof. and pillars to get all the cancer. I'd say strike a balance between what you can do to keep him safe and solid, but not try to *restore*. He is an aging road warrior rusting away, and you just have to enjoy the time you have left toghether. Maybe find a donor chassis with blown motor out west and transplant all his hardwear?

I'd say strike a balance between what you can do to keep him safe and solid, but not try to *restore*. He is an aging road warrior rusting away, and you just have to enjoy the time you have left together.

I know this is the way of things in the northeast...... but its just too friggin sad!

:-\

I HATE SALT:mad:

This happens to ALL the subaru's pre legacy, in exactly the same spots.

Sorry,Devin,but that's false.

Maybe upwards of 98% but if you look at my '78 wagon and the '76 GF I had to crush you'd know there's a good percentage point or two that survive.

Not saying you're not 98% right,but there is that 1-2% but they usually aren't easy to see since they are genuine old lady cars.

They are the ones who get them washed.take them to dealers for mechanicals,and put next to zero miles on per year.

There's a VERY solid 3door right here in Bridgeport and an EA81 wagon both of which I've looked under.

Also,Andrew has failed to come through so now I will have to cover shipping on those door panels or take a ride up.We're overdue to go to VT to see some friends,so maybe we'll do that soon.

Thanks for your help.Let me know what's still around from that '74 and I'll consider the shipping vs ride.

Sorry,Devin,but that's false.

Maybe upwards of 98% but if you look at my '78 wagon and the '76 GF I had to crush you'd know there's a good percentage point or two that survive.

Not saying you're not 98% right,but there is that 1-2% but they usually aren't easy to see since they are genuine old lady cars.

They are the ones who get them washed.take them to dealers for mechanicals,and put next to zero miles on per year.

There's a VERY solid 3door right here in Bridgeport and an EA81 wagon both of which I've looked under.

Also,Andrew has failed to come through so now I will have to cover shipping on those door panels or take a ride up.We're overdue to go to VT to see some friends,so maybe we'll do that soon.

Thanks for your help.Let me know what's still around from that '74 and I'll consider the shipping vs ride.

Some really do make it a long way. The paint is everything. I also noted some of the loyales had the newer "play doh" metal - some kind of treatment that is gray underneath the paint but obviously strong enough to stick forever and keep metal pliable. pliable steel is a buzzing steel, buzzing steel will never die with the tough paint .

After getting into amateur welding with an auto dim helmet.:headbang:

I feel I can conquer even the photos 91loyale has shown us into pretty darn good looking.I saved an 87 bending badly to find there was no substrate from the factory on the drivers side! (I have no idea how it made it to 17 years with hollow thin sheet metal as a main beam). A few extra minutes beyond the factory's intense speed in manufacturing goes a few extra decades.

To go that far with rust is way bad neglect. As if the rust spots on the surface weren't a tell tale sign to get after simple repairs. shame, shame. :-\

Sitting in my driveway right now are near identical 86 and 89 GL Turbos. Teh 86 has been in wisconsin for a long time and has 250,000 miles. It is at least as rusty as the pics 91Loyale posted. The 89 lived it's whole life near Salem, Oregon until just last fall when I brought it to Wisconsin. It has no rust what so ever. I mean that. ZERO. The 89, granted is 3 years newer, but it also has 250,000 miles and you can tell this ain't no granny car, it's been worked. I'd say half the Old Soobs of this generation don't rust away at all really. Sadly it's the half that was sold outside of the rust belt and or the east coast.

I almost lost my lunch looking at that cancer. I think salting the roads goes way back to a conspiracy of the DOT's and car manufacturers to rot out cars in three years to increase sales.

Rust and salt are four letter words.

My folks bought a 1983 wagon in 1985 that was "gently used" and in excellent shape (no rust)

Not even 7 years later....my dad couldnt get it through "lick it and stick it" NYS inspection because the guy knew us all, and said the car wasnt safe to drive or ride in:dead:

It wasnt.

Luckily Colorado doesn't allow salt on the roads:banana: My 91' Loyale doesn't have a speck of rust on it. Sorry about the rust in the northeast:mad:

I can agree with that to a point. My RX, though it has some surface rust at the side-skirt mounting points (just need to grind down through the paint to bare metal, fill and re-paint) seems to be top notch underneath. Though I wonder....Mine seems to have an incredibly good rust proof coating, that black bumpy kind, to the entire underside. Not sure if that's factory, or if the little old lady who owned her from '88 until her passing last year had that done after purchasing. The bumper and hood paint sure as hell took a beating from rocks, bugs, and other debris!

in my experience it is mostly the ones that people don't take care of that end up like this.

as an example... I ended up having to drive my xt6 all winter. BUT I WASHED IT AT LEAST EVERY TWO WEEKS.

my girlfriend's mom, however, drove her 2005 toyota tundra all winter, and didn't wash it much if at all.

which vehicle ended up rusty in the spring?

sure as hell wasn't my 1989 northeast-car-all-it's-life-crappy-japanese-made car :-p

While we were stripping the '78 down for paint prep, we found a big area underneath, forward of the wheel well that's toast! Yikes! I freaked because I NEVER, EVER drove it in the salt.

Seems the previous owner must have driven it in the salt, since the car was in California before and Florida after he owned it and then it came here... I'm sick over it. It can be fixed pretty easily, since it's hidden, but man... what a shock!

My poor RX turbo project collapsed under its own weight early last year from rust. Car ran excellent and reponded to mods VERY well. It just was rusted to hell underneath.

Even when the dealership lifted it to see what was wrong with it, rust specs crunched and came off the car. It sounded like the car was being crushed. :lol:

Luckily I still have the turbo parts waiting for another home. :burnout:

That's just harsh... I am now kinda glad that I don't get snow here.. But I still want to do some snow driving one day...

It's not the snow that is the problem. It is the salt that is put down afterwards. I'm in Delaware. You'd think this was the salt capital of the U.S. 3" of salt for every 1" of snow it seems. The salt actually becomes a skid hazard due to not being able to stop on it. The other problem it causes is the huge pot holes it makes in the roadways.

You can't win. Many people drive like idiots so you have to clear the roadways. :mad:

I also noted some of the loyales had the newer "play doh" metal - some kind of treatment that is gray underneath the paint but obviously strong enough to stick forever and keep metal pliable. pliable steel is a buzzing steel, buzzing steel will never die with the tough paint .

My loyale has that coating under the paint on the lower section of the car, and TaDa, it's rusting away. Every spring I have to patch more.

And BDG, it was crackpot B.S. like "buzzing steel" that got you banned in the first place. Just go away. Please.

Sorry paul. I guess I was a little too general in saying all of them dissapeared in a puff of rust. I just haven't seen any rust-free old subies in my 100 mile radius.

It was an eye opener when I scouted some of the junkyards in wyoming. There was subarus from the mid 70's that had NO rust. My uncle who lives out there had forgot how bad our northeast rust was, so he had a harsh reminder when we did a bunch of work on my car.

man i love west coast cars:slobber:

its worth the $600 to ship if you ask me.

Totally. The worst is that most of the west-coasters don't appreciate what they have. So it's our duty as east coasters to take the cars away from them to a place where they will be appreciated.

While we were stripping the '78 down for paint prep, we found a big area underneath, forward of the wheel well that's toast! Yikes! I freaked because I NEVER, EVER drove it in the salt.

Seems the previous owner must have driven it in the salt, since the car was in California before and Florida after he owned it and then it came here... I'm sick over it. It can be fixed pretty easily, since it's hidden, but man... what a shock!

Living in Florida is enough to rust a car. Do you think we salt the roads down here?

My car

small010.jpg

has lived its entire life in Florida. click for more pics

Note the date stamp, and the condition of the lawn and trees... If rust is the price I pay to live in paradise, so be it.

As for it being our duty as east coasters to bring those cars over here where the will be "appeciated"..... wont they be DEpreciated? :lol:

Just watch out for the coast cars, and east coast imports. My 82 DL Wagon was from the west originally, but I bought it in CT, after the bubbling began. After a year and a half here, the rust had gotten bad enough that it wasn't worth fixing.

My Hatch, I have no history on. It might have had leaking rear windows, but I never saw water on the floor, and it never smelled damp. But, the rockers are gone at the rear, and it's extensive. It almost seems to have rusted from the inside out, the outside looked decent, but a jack went right through when the pinch weld finally gave out.

Yeah,Florida is no bargain.Used to see "Solid Southern Car" advertised years ago when people were gah gah for muscle cars.Very few were ever actually "solid" throughout.And Florida,well there's salt air,harsh sunlight...not good.

Both my '78 wagon-which you may have heard about :cool: :headbang: and the '76 I talked about were CT cars for life.They and a few others represent that 1-2 % :)

I'm getting that '74 Jon posted from Idaho,and from now on I have virtually no choice but to get them from the west,etc.. The old lady 70's cars are all gone now up this way.:mad: Well,almost all gone.;) But I'm turning my back on EA81's and EA82's.

Alot of the rust issues with east coast rust belt cars also does rely on the owner....If you keep your car ..from day one...well waxed...and wash the salt off and inspect them regularly...you can keep the rust under control. I grew up in the car capital of the country ( for shows /restoration..etc etc) Carlisle PA....and you wouldnt believe the amount of non-rusted cars there...I worked part time in a junk yard and I know what was up on the hill...the badly rusted ones were the completely neglected ones.

You just have to keep up with them..and check those un-expected parts...like where Mary stated on her 78 and keep up with everything. You bring western cars over here and the rust will catch up if you dont take care of everything regularly.Perfect example is Bucky....how can this car be in the condition that its in?? I take time to keep up with it..and fix it as needed...believe me .if I owned it from day one I would have had to fix next to nothing on it ( rust)...but then again I am fanatical about my cars apperience...I wont drive it with big dents etc unless I have too