Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New headlight problem

I'm not real new at alll (even though it seems like it--LOL). I have been registered on and off since the creation of this board under diff names. Excuse me for making a dumb mistake by not letting everyone know what year and make. 86 GL trashwagon ea-82:D I was kinda thinking it would be a very common problem. So, let the problem solving begin. I will have a multimeter tommorrow. Happy thanksgiving.:bday:

Stacy, here is a wiring diagram for starters. Check the fusible link for corrosion on it's female male contacts

hdlitedianew.JPG

If you study this diagram you will see the head lamps are controlled by two relays, one for the right and one for the left head lamp. Since you have problems in both it points to the feed for the relays (the fusible link), now for the high beam problem does the dash indicator light? This whole mess could be a switch problem

could be a bad headlight. i got a ticket for driving with the brights working only on 1 light(no lo beam) i had the dash apart before looking for a relay when i first got the car.

i replaced the bulbs and it was all good(i re-uused the ones from trashwagon 4, which came from a buick)

Skip an everyone else:

Tonight I had a "bright" idea--LOL . I look at the ECU light and it was blinking some error code. So, I decided to look further at the wire mess underneath. At that point I suspected a relay. I found 5 of them. Then I noticed the one of them was not secure and was unplugged. I plugged it back in and their was perfect light in both headlamps in low beam. In high-beam I get only one highbeam. Now that you tell me Skip that there are two relays, now I am wondering if there is another one that is bad....but what one? I have found this relay at the Zone for 9 bucks. So, I'm assuming both relays are the same for the right and left. I think this unpluged relay was my intermitten fuel pump problem as well, because accorrding to the Zone's discription it not only controls the headlamp, but the fuel pump as well. Where do I go from here to get both my brights working in high beam. Thanks again.

Stacy:wave:

Stacy, the A.Zone is incorrect on the fuel pump and head lamp relay part.

They are the same "style" and part number but this statement is not correct

"accorrding to the Zone's discription it not only controls the headlamp, but the fuel pump as well. "

The wiring diagram above must not make sense to you, this is undestandable as the head lamp system is complex.

I'll ask again - does the dash indicator illuminate in the high beam position? If so--

My bet now is you may have a bad lamp in the one high beam circuit, try swapping lamps.

Yes, I know they are new but this does not mean one was defective or fried prematurly.

Skip:

There are 5 relays in a row. As you look up under the dash, the relay to the far right was unplugged. As soon as I plugged it back in the HIGH BEAM indicator on the dash became active. Now everything works right except the drivers side dose not work at all when the pass is in HI BEAM. I am going to swap bulbs. I really think it is a relay problem. I sure would like to know witch relays contol what. According to the diagram there are two relays that control the left and the right. Assuming that A.Zone is incorrect (often they are), then where can I get a accurate discription of thease relays?

S.

You may want to use the term Scapwagon orsuch, therefore avoiding copywrite infringement.

As for the relays. If you want to know what they all are for, simple, get a FSM. For each system that has a relay, it lists the color code for the wires . (I am surprized there are only 5, GL-10s have many more)

The relays are all the same, they can be interchanged to prove one is toast. Good luck let's hope it is just a bad lamp

About those headlights, own '87 scooby gl wagon, hit a bump and low beams went out yet the hi beams work and already replaced lamps twice:cornfuzz: replaced the ultra spendy lamp relay from dealership (No refunds) :madder: any suggestions?????

Thanks in advance,

Chris