Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Short, sweet.. ECU pinout difference, 87 SPFI to 90 SPFI?

okay, i dont want to discuss any of the car's pertinent issues here.. I've already dragged THAT out over three or four LONG threads.

All I need to know is this: would an SPFI 90 Loyale ECU plug into my 87 SPFI NA GL-10 and function correctly without having to move any pins around? I thought the answer was a resounding NO; the fragmentary 89 FSM doesnt seem to be the exact same pinout as my ECU but I cannot be certain of that.

I PMed GeneralDisorder and asked him, anticipating a response full of information on why it would NOT be a plug and play operation, and instead got the answer that yes, it should...

While I am at it, IF I do need to change the pinout, has ANYONE here ever investigated the possibility of finding the "locking tab" on the individual pins so that it would be a simple matter to remove and reconfigure any pins that may be different between the two years? It should just be a matter of using an eyeglass screwdriver to bend the tab back, then sliding the wire in question out the back of the plastic plug body... but I could not see any obvious locking tabs when I took a cursory look at it yesterday.

Of course, if anyone has the pinouts for the two years handy (i think you know who you are, you have been working with me on this the whole time) it goes without saying that I would appreciate a copy of the two relevant pinout diagrams :grin:

Okay, so it wasn't very short; this IS my idea of "brief." :rolleyes:

IIRC - 87 and 88 are the same - and I have the pinouts for 88.

That leaves you to come up with the pinouts for 90.

Gonna bet they are the same. Another way of looking into it would be to call the dealership and get the pat numbers for the ECUs of both years. - Matching part number would also lead me to believe that the wiring is the same.

IIRC - 87 and 88 are the same - and I have the pinouts for 88.

That leaves you to come up with the pinouts for 90.

Gonna bet they are the same. Another way of looking into it would be to call the dealership and get the pat numbers for the ECUs of both years. - Matching part number would also lead me to believe that the wiring is the same.

I've got 89 and 90 I'll try to get it scanned soon. Anybody got an actual 87 FSM? And Daeron have you verified by VIN that you're car actually is an 87?

I'm running a 91 harness and manifold with an 87 ECU in my Brat. Just so I wouldn't have to use a clutch switch and change the pedal assembly. They are all interchangeable - I've even used a Loyale Auto ECU in my Brat and it still worked fine. The only difference is some switches in the manual ECU's, but they were added to unused pins so the older ECU just doesn't look for them.

GD

I though there were more changes through the years ECU wise. But I've looked over the 88,89,90 FSMs and all the ECUs look to be the same. 88 shows at pin 37 an "a/d test" connector, where 89,90 don't show a pin 37 wire. In the Fuel injection section of all the books it states pin 37 for "line end test only" so maybe it's a factory thing.

I still haven't got my 87 FSM back but I believe you will be O.K. to use the 90 in the 87. The one thing I wonder about is the neutral switch and whether you're car will have it, cause the 90 ECU will need to see it. If it isn't wired in already, you surely COULD wire it in to the AT indicator *n* light. That is how the factory setup is and may well be wired into your existing loom.

Note:86 SPFI uses different pin configurations. All others appear to be the same.

Capital!

I am unsure how I will be proceeding on this matter; since the $$ that had been earmarked for the ECU wound up being spent on an O2 sensor.... BUT now I know the situation, and am not concerned about what year to get the 'puter out of.