Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I Need an Opinion! Fix up the '92 Legacy or the '96 Impreza?

Guest ericbear

I have a 92 Legacy with some front bumper damage...nothing too major...but it needs some serious TLC-brakes, possibly struts, some engine tuning-adjusting the valves,etc....I want to really fix the car up, make it real nice again...On the other hand, I bought a '96 Impreza, 2 door, from my Mom for 250 bucks, that has a transmission problem, no reverse. I really, really like the Impreza as it's sporty and looks better than some of these other cars....with some cosmetic work and engine and tranny work, the car could be quite beautiful again....the interior is kind of wreck too..but that's another story.....now, the Legacy has only 156000 or so miles on it, but is kinda rusty underneath, as it's from New Hampshire...the Impreza has roughtly, 22500 miles, original engine...could use to be rebuilt, I'm sure......what would you do? I like them both, but only have the money for one right now......let me know what you think!

Eric...

oh, BTW, my other post was about moving to Miss....hehehe..that didn't last a month...was back in good ol Texas before ya knew it......

Guest ccrinc

After your last post (I've driven that stretch of highway...I know how miserable it can be), I'd go with the one that got my a@@ thru the swamps! :lol:

Besides, the Impreza tranny problem could be as simple as a brake band adjustment.

Emily

www.ccrengines.com

Guest Setright

Fix up the Legacy, man! Go for some firmer struts and slightly harder springs when you do the work and it will handle like the Impreza. The Imp is basically a shortened Legacy underneath, after all.

Also, the Legacy Mk1 interior will probably outlast the Impreza's flimsy cabin :P

Guest Biffbradford

If it's ice blue ... then you should part it out ... let's see, I need a tail light, parking light, drivers door ....

:P

John Wilke

Milwaukee

Guest korrupt66

Looks like no matter what you do you have people who want parts from both of you cars. If you do decide to part one out to help pay for the restoring of the other I could use the Impreza parts. I need drivers side headlight,fender,oil pan and some interior parts. So either way you cant lose.:P

Korrupt66

Guest ericbear

Well, it seems I've got some wanting me to part out the Impreza and some wanting me to restore the Legacy and one wanting me to fix up the Imp....hmmmmm, I love both Subarus...I really wanted her to sell me her 87 GL Wagon, with the REAL 4wd...hehehe, but her husband won't part with it.....I love my Legacy Wagon, and I really love the sportiness of the Impreza.....how about this? Fix them both up a little at a time.....oh, the Impreza is bright red and the Legacy is Burgundy..and I have to agree with the post about the interiors: the Legacy interior is still in remarkably excellent shape considering it's age.....the only thing is, when the other owner had the Legacy, he had the struts replaced and was told the rust had eaten up a dampener(?) on the susupension and might not align correctly, but the car hasn't eaten tires at all! So, I dunno......thanks to all who responded! I'll keep giving it some thought and let ya'll know how it goes!

Eric