Ultimate Subaru Message Board

79 stalling blues

Howdy, I have a 1979 Wagon GL 4wd and recently have had many troubling issues. What initially started as a hard warm start (after making several intown errand stops/starts, the car would take a while to restart), has turned into a random stalling problem. The car will start normal, then after driving one block, it will suddenly die. This typically happens if you drive for a bit, then let it sit for a bit, then restart and drive away. It's like the fuel in the float gets burned up, then dies. After about 5-10 minutes of trying to restart, it will ultimately catch, and run fine. One time, this happend after I was driving it for 15 min and then it just died. I was able to get it restarted, then it was fine. I took it to a local mechanic, and he said there was a bad electrical connection to the fuel pump, adjusted the timing, and cleaned the carb. After this, I drove it 40 minutes to Denver, shopped at a lumber yard for 45min, then started it, drove a block before it died. After 5min, it restarted, and drove fine for 30+ minutes until I got home. Mechanic thinks 1. we should vent the gas cap 2. replace fuel pump. The carb was rebuild last summer, and the fuel filter is also new. Any ideas?

Respectfully,

frustrated