Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

'93 Turbo Wagon keeps blowing coolant lines... 3 lines in 2 weeks :\

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 LiftedEA81

LiftedEA81

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Medford

Posted 11 May 2007 - 08:00 PM

Seems like every 2 or 3 days Im blowing a coolant bypass line. 1st it was the line that lead from my coolant resivoir to my turbo. Then as soon as I get that replaced, 3 days later I blow a line leading from the coolant passage to the manifold.

Today (3 days later) on my way to work, i blew yet ANOTHER coolant line. This one runs on the passenger side of the car, looks like it comes from a hard line to the bottom of the block.

WTF?? Any idea why all these lines are blowing? Im wondering if my radiator cap is faulty, and not relieving pressure? I guess I'll replace that when I do this 3rd line.

#2 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,621 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 11 May 2007 - 08:11 PM

Couple of possabilities. First is a radiator cap that is not opening. Second is just old hoses. A blown HG can blow a hose, but it requires a bad cap to do it. Replace the cap first.

nipper

#3 Hodaka Rider

Hodaka Rider

Original BC Soobnut

• Members
  • 1,577 posts
  • Nelson, BC (Canada)

Posted 11 May 2007 - 08:16 PM

General rule (in my experience): when one hose pops, do 'em all!!

#4 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,621 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 11 May 2007 - 08:19 PM

i meant to ask, is the car running at a normal temp? When was the last time the t-stat was changed?

nipper

#5 porcupine73

porcupine73

Obligate carnivore

• Members
  • 4,999 posts
  • Buffalo, NY

Posted 11 May 2007 - 08:19 PM

Hm....when you say blow do you mean it pops off the hose barb, or the line itself ruptures? If the line is rupturing I'd just replace them all with new. If they're popping off the hose barb then that is a little odd.....exhaust blowing into coolant?

#6 LiftedEA81

LiftedEA81

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Medford

Posted 11 May 2007 - 10:04 PM

They burst. They dont pop, or become disconnected. They burst. The 1st hose that went had a nice 2" gash in it.

The 2nd one that went split in two.

The 3rd one... well, i dunno cause im so frusterated the car has just sat in the garage since. Granted, they are old hoses, and i expect something like this to happen. But for three of them to go, 2 to 3 days apart from eachother just seems like more than a coincidence.

And I would love to replace them all... but there are ALOT of hoses on a EJ22T. Some I would have to remove the engine to get to.

#7 Cougar

Cougar

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 6,340 posts
  • Anchorage

Posted 13 May 2007 - 03:17 PM

There must be a headgasket leak causing this to happen. Replacing the cap as Nipper suggested may save the hoses if the cap is bad but this must be one serious leak. I have never heard of this kind of thing.

#8 OB99W

OB99W

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,315 posts
  • Ithaca

Posted 13 May 2007 - 07:24 PM

They burst. They dont pop, or become disconnected. They burst. The 1st hose that went had a nice 2" gash in it.

The 2nd one that went split in two.

The 3rd one... well, i dunno cause im so frusterated the car has just sat in the garage since. Granted, they are old hoses, and i expect something like this to happen. But for three of them to go, 2 to 3 days apart from eachother just seems like more than a coincidence. [...]

It might indeed be more than coincidence. There could be excess pressure due to a bad radiator cap (as Nipper mentioned), or in combination with a head gasket failure (as Cougar brought up), and those things should be ruled out. However, another possibility could be that the coolant, especially if it hasn't been changed regularly, is taking a toll on the rubber from the inside out. Or, if the car is somehow exposed to significant ozone levels, the damage occurs from the outside in. See: http://www.gates.com...ocation_id=3369

Since the hoses "age" at about the same rate, if one went bad from the causes shown in the link, you might expect others to follow relatively soon thereafter. The coolant hose change cycle of four years that Gates suggests may be more frequent than usually necessary, but once one goes the others should at least be carefully inspected, or replaced, unless another cause is found.

EDIT: Even if the cause is just deteriorated hoses, obviously if one dumps enough coolant before you catch the problem, there's the risk of engine damage from overheating (including more likelihood of HG problems). It seems worthwhile to change any questionable hoses before they can become a further liability.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users