Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Rear diff vs. rear wheel noise

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 turboguzzi

turboguzzi

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 142 posts
  • italy

Posted 12 May 2007 - 03:16 AM

Hello All

Purschased rear wheel bearings, was ready to change them. When I lifted the car though two things confused me.

Wheels have no freeplay whatsoever when trying to yank them this way or other whereas the internal end of the sub axle, where it mounts on the rear diff flops around!

Could it be that my "rear wheel bearings" noise was actually a rear diff bearing noise?

Read all about the wheel bearing replacement (believing that was the issue) but have found little in the forum about attacking the rear diff.

How difficult a job is it? I did an engine swap, so quite handy, just dont know if the rear diff requires any special tools to deal with.

Are there any posts on this that I missed

Thanks

TG

#2 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,900 posts
  • WV

Posted 12 May 2007 - 07:36 AM

could it be a noisey rear cv axle as well...i'm not sure what the noise is.

maybe the rear diff bushings are shot, that would cause clunking on accel and decel.

rear diffs are easy to swap out, you won't have a problem nor do you need special tools. 4 12mm nuts hold the driveshaft to the rear diff, two nuts hold the diff at the rear on the hanger (believe they are 17), then there's one holding it up top as well. then the axles.

#3 turboguzzi

turboguzzi

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 142 posts
  • italy

Posted 12 May 2007 - 11:48 AM

thanks

at the end it was indeed a rear left wheel bearing that was shot.....

cheers

TG

#4 DerFahrer

DerFahrer

Formerly subyluvr2212

• Members
  • 2,411 posts
  • Orlando, FL

Posted 12 May 2007 - 11:59 AM

Just because there's no wheel play doesn't mean that the bearings aren't bad. I've replaced six noisy wheel bearings (need to replace four more), and NONE of them have had wheel play.

#5 AlpineRaven

AlpineRaven

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 187 posts
  • Australia

Posted 15 May 2007 - 07:52 AM

What kind of noises were there?
Was it clunky or what?
Cheers
AP

#6 firstwagon

firstwagon

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • British Columbia

Posted 16 May 2007 - 03:12 PM

Just because there's no wheel play doesn't mean that the bearings aren't bad. I've replaced six noisy wheel bearings (need to replace four more), and NONE of them have had wheel play.

If they have no wheel play, how do you tell which one is bad?

I too have a "bad bearing like noise" coming from the rear of my wagon but I can't seem to tell which side the sound is coming from. I jacked up the rear of the car and found no play or roughness on either side. Without taking everything apart, how do you tell which one?

I suppose it could be both bearing but I'm hoping for one only.

It could be the diff but there's no clunking sounds, just a low rumble like an off road tire.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users