Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Scorpion/King lift springs help please! '00obw w/pics!

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 porcupine73

porcupine73

Obligate carnivore

• Members
  • 5,003 posts
  • Buffalo, NY

Posted 12 May 2007 - 04:28 PM

Hi, I'm hoping someone who has used Scorpion/King Springs KSFR-32 lift/raised springs can help me out. King Springs and RenickMotorsports both show these should work on an '00 Outback.

However, the top of the spring, where it goes to the upper spring seat, seems too small diameter. It does not fit in the upper spring seat like the OEM spring does. It's about 6" dia. The OEM spring is about 6.75" dia. Has anyone else had this experience or have any suggestions on how to proceed?

Posted ImagePosted Image

It seems like it might still work, it's just the spring won't be sitting in the outer perimeter of the seat (shown here without rubber piece):
Posted Image

Other info:

I also have KSFR-26 for Outback ~96. The top diameter on these seems about right (6.75"), though I'm not sure why it's 'flattened'. But these are supposed to be for my '96 not my '00:
Posted Image

Saw II spring compressor:
Posted Image

#2 porcupine73

porcupine73

Obligate carnivore

• Members
  • 5,003 posts
  • Buffalo, NY

Posted 12 May 2007 - 05:26 PM

Is there a smaller diameter upper spring seat available? Like maybe for Impeza or WRX? If so I think that would be the answer......?

#3 porcupine73

porcupine73

Obligate carnivore

• Members
  • 5,003 posts
  • Buffalo, NY

Posted 13 May 2007 - 07:33 PM

Well I put one together to see how it looks. You can see the spring doesn't really sit in the outer groove of the upper spring seat, but it seems like it might be OK? The King Springs catalog also shows these springs for Forester 99-01 so maybe that has different upper spring seats?

These springs must have a high rate, it was difficult to compress it enough to get the nut started on the strut.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#4 LosDiosDeVerde86

LosDiosDeVerde86

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,346 posts
  • Columbus

Posted 14 May 2007 - 07:11 AM

Well I put one together to see how it looks. You can see the spring doesn't really sit in the outer groove of the upper spring seat, but it seems like it might be OK? The King Springs catalog also shows these springs for Forester 99-01 so maybe that has different upper spring seats?

These springs must have a high rate, it was difficult to compress it enough to get the nut started on the strut.
Posted ImagePosted Image

that doesn't look safe. my guess would be that you got the wrong parts.. it happens.

not that i know anything.

#5 Jimmyowensfan20

Jimmyowensfan20

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Oliver Springs

Posted 14 May 2007 - 07:56 AM

I wouldn't take my daughter for a ride with those springs on my car.

#6 LosDiosDeVerde86

LosDiosDeVerde86

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,346 posts
  • Columbus

Posted 14 May 2007 - 08:17 AM

I wouldn't take my daughter for a ride with those springs on my car.

well, not with those particular springs. get the ones that fit right and i wouldn't have an issue.

#7 porcupine73

porcupine73

Obligate carnivore

• Members
  • 5,003 posts
  • Buffalo, NY

Posted 14 May 2007 - 11:07 AM

OK thanks for the info. It definitely doesn't look right. The confusing thing is the part # on the spring matches the part # listed in the King Springs catalog for an '00 Outback Wagon.

Only thing I can think (other than mislabeled part/wrong application) is maybe in Australia the Outbacks have smaller diameter upper spring seats, like maybe from a Impreza or something. These same springs are listed for Forester as well.

#8 LosDiosDeVerde86

LosDiosDeVerde86

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,346 posts
  • Columbus

Posted 14 May 2007 - 11:12 AM

OK thanks for the info. It definitely doesn't look right. The confusing thing is the part # on the spring matches the part # listed in the King Springs catalog for an '00 Outback Wagon.

Only thing I can think (other than mislabeled part/wrong application) is maybe in Australia the Outbacks have smaller diameter upper spring seats, like maybe from a Impreza or something. These same springs are listed for Forester as well.

i suppose it's possible that they fit UP TO 2000 which would make it fit a 99 which possibly has smaller spring diameters.

maybe get a set for a 2001-2004?

#9 scoobyclimbs

scoobyclimbs

Attack of the madaxeman..

• Members
  • 862 posts
  • Newberg

Posted 14 May 2007 - 07:13 PM

I went through that with the front Kingsprings for my'03 OBW .

http://subaruoutback...ht=king springs

#10 porcupine73

porcupine73

Obligate carnivore

• Members
  • 5,003 posts
  • Buffalo, NY

Posted 14 May 2007 - 07:36 PM

Ah OK thanks! So it's forester upper spring seats that are the ticket. It would have been nice if King Springs or Renick would have mentioned that...

edit: Oh hey when you got your alignment done, did you need fastcam bolts or were the stock camber bolts adequate?

#11 scoobyclimbs

scoobyclimbs

Attack of the madaxeman..

• Members
  • 862 posts
  • Newberg

Posted 15 May 2007 - 02:06 AM

Ah OK thanks! So it's forester upper spring seats that are the ticket. It would have been nice if King Springs or Renick would have mentioned that...

edit: Oh hey when you got your alignment done, did you need fastcam bolts or were the stock camber bolts adequate?

stock was just fine...I've had zero problems with alignment for a few years now...If you more than 2" of height then you might have more issues..

#12 porcupine73

porcupine73

Obligate carnivore

• Members
  • 5,003 posts
  • Buffalo, NY

Posted 15 May 2007 - 05:20 AM

OK great thanks scoobyclimbs! I'll check my two local dealers and hope one of them has the forester upper spring seats in stock as I want to get these in and try them out! I kind of doubt it though since it's probably not a high demand item.

#13 Strakes

Strakes

Kaboom? Kaboom?

• Members
  • 520 posts
  • Knoxville

Posted 15 May 2007 - 08:53 AM

the top of the spring, where it goes to the upper spring seat, seems too small diameter. It does not fit in the upper spring seat like the OEM spring does. It's about 6" dia. The OEM spring is about 6.75" dia. Has anyone else had this experience or have any suggestions on how to proceed?
It seems like it might still work, it's just the spring won't be sitting in the outer perimeter of the seat (shown here without rubber piece):
Other info:
I also have KSFR-26 for Outback ~96. The top diameter on these seems about right (6.75"), though I'm not sure why it's 'flattened'. But these are supposed to be for my '96 not my '00:

http://www.ultimates...ead.php?t=62594

Subaru part number 20323FA000

http://sl-i.net/FORU...=2917=

Both these links may be helpful to you. Any of us who either lower or raise our 2000-2004 Legacy/Outbacks run into this issue because the tops of the new springs are designed to fit them "foreign" Legacies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users