Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Rear Wheel Bearings

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 cd45

cd45

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 337 posts
  • Shawnee

Posted 12 May 2007 - 07:01 PM

I am having trouble finding rear wheel bearings for my 1987 GL 4WD Wagon. I have called every parts store in the area, and drove to one over an hour away because they said they had them. They did not. The bearings are cone roller bearing with a built in spacer. The part number on the bearing is 4T-CR1-0685. The number that the store found that might be it is 513056. If anyone has a source, please let me in on it. I have taken the passenger side rear completely off, and it will not be put back together until Monday. That is when the bearings will be in, they had to be ordered because no one keeps them in stock. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

#2 crockettbrat

crockettbrat

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 326 posts
  • Crockett

Posted 13 May 2007 - 12:47 AM

I am having trouble finding rear wheel bearings for my 1987 GL 4WD Wagon. I have called every parts store in the area, and drove to one over an hour away because they said they had them. They did not. The bearings are cone roller bearing with a built in spacer. The part number on the bearing is 4T-CR1-0685. The number that the store found that might be it is 513056. If anyone has a source, please let me in on it. I have taken the passenger side rear completely off, and it will not be put back together until Monday. That is when the bearings will be in, they had to be ordered because no one keeps them in stock. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

\
One of my rear wheel bearings went out and I went to the junk yard and pulled a whole trailing arm for $25 and slapped it on the brat. The local parts rip off shop wanted $100 for the rear bearing. This worked great for me. Good luck.

#3 TheMeatWagon

TheMeatWagon

Subaru Wannabe

• Members
  • 394 posts
  • Whidbey Island

Posted 13 May 2007 - 12:53 AM

I did the same thing. Those bearings were 100 bucks ordered from Schucks. Plus they're pressed and a real pain in the arss. I went to the PAP yard and bought all of it together including a spare axle for offroading for 35 bucks. If you do go to a PAP yard just make sure you try to jiggle it around and spin it a few times to make sure the bearing is in good shape without any play or anything like that. Way better deal in my opinion, plus you can almost always find some good deals on other little parts you might need :D.

#4 ZRX Doug

ZRX Doug

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Detroit

Posted 13 May 2007 - 04:14 AM

This is gonna sound dead-obvious, but have you checked the local phonebooks under "Bearings?"
Dunno how it is in the rest of the world, but here in Detroit there are at least five shops I know of that sell nothing but bearings, and they usually have no problem sourcing an "impossible" part using either stamping numbers or the ID & OD of the races.
It's pretty much the only route to go if (like me) you're into mixing & matching motorcycle wheels & axles, steering head components & such.
Usually MUCH less expensive than an auto parts store, also.
Like I said, Detroit may be a bit more source-rich, since we're sorta swimming in job-shops for the auto industry, but I'd expect any decent sized city to have at least one bearing wholesaler..give it a shot.

#5 misledxcracker

misledxcracker

Guy no one ever answers

• Members
  • 846 posts
  • Bullhead City

Posted 13 May 2007 - 05:28 AM

same here...

i'm not paying no stinkin 100 bucks for no bearings, and its a PITA to get them out of the hub in the first place..

+1million on the junkyard

#6 CAS83Brumby

CAS83Brumby

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Belfair

Posted 13 May 2007 - 02:24 PM

I just did a general check on rockauto.com and it looks like they are around 55 dollars. good luck.

#7 cd45

cd45

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 337 posts
  • Shawnee

Posted 14 May 2007 - 08:42 PM

OK, O'reilly's had the right one. The passenger side is in and the car rides great. I will do the drivers side this week. Thanks for all the info.

#8 Durania

Durania

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,113 posts
  • Crossville, TN

Posted 14 May 2007 - 10:46 PM

I work for one of the largest bearing distributors in the country and we ship to motion industries as one of our biggest customers. I suggest calling one of them in your area.

#9 daeron

daeron

Cunning Linguist

• Members
  • 3,600 posts
  • West Palm Beach

Posted 15 May 2007 - 05:16 AM

This is gonna sound dead-obvious, but have you checked the local phonebooks under "Bearings?"

I will say that this is a good idea to try.. but I only say that to give me an excuse to go WAYY off topic. :grin:

I used to work around the corner from a place (either a distributor or manufacturer, I am not sure) called "Florida Bearings," and every time I pass it I think to myself (while pointing eastwards) "Florida Bearings?? The ocean is THAT way, so north is THAT way!!" :lol:

Just a small taste of my outlandish sense of humour. :Flame:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users