Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rear Wheel Bearings

I am having trouble finding rear wheel bearings for my 1987 GL 4WD Wagon. I have called every parts store in the area, and drove to one over an hour away because they said they had them. They did not. The bearings are cone roller bearing with a built in spacer. The part number on the bearing is 4T-CR1-0685. The number that the store found that might be it is 513056. If anyone has a source, please let me in on it. I have taken the passenger side rear completely off, and it will not be put back together until Monday. That is when the bearings will be in, they had to be ordered because no one keeps them in stock. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I am having trouble finding rear wheel bearings for my 1987 GL 4WD Wagon. I have called every parts store in the area, and drove to one over an hour away because they said they had them. They did not. The bearings are cone roller bearing with a built in spacer. The part number on the bearing is 4T-CR1-0685. The number that the store found that might be it is 513056. If anyone has a source, please let me in on it. I have taken the passenger side rear completely off, and it will not be put back together until Monday. That is when the bearings will be in, they had to be ordered because no one keeps them in stock. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

\

One of my rear wheel bearings went out and I went to the junk yard and pulled a whole trailing arm for $25 and slapped it on the brat. The local parts rip off shop wanted $100 for the rear bearing. This worked great for me. Good luck.

I did the same thing. Those bearings were 100 bucks ordered from Schucks. Plus they're pressed and a real pain in the arss. I went to the PAP yard and bought all of it together including a spare axle for offroading for 35 bucks. If you do go to a PAP yard just make sure you try to jiggle it around and spin it a few times to make sure the bearing is in good shape without any play or anything like that. Way better deal in my opinion, plus you can almost always find some good deals on other little parts you might need :D.

This is gonna sound dead-obvious, but have you checked the local phonebooks under "Bearings?"

Dunno how it is in the rest of the world, but here in Detroit there are at least five shops I know of that sell nothing but bearings, and they usually have no problem sourcing an "impossible" part using either stamping numbers or the ID & OD of the races.

It's pretty much the only route to go if (like me) you're into mixing & matching motorcycle wheels & axles, steering head components & such.

Usually MUCH less expensive than an auto parts store, also.

Like I said, Detroit may be a bit more source-rich, since we're sorta swimming in job-shops for the auto industry, but I'd expect any decent sized city to have at least one bearing wholesaler..give it a shot.

This is gonna sound dead-obvious, but have you checked the local phonebooks under "Bearings?"

I will say that this is a good idea to try.. but I only say that to give me an excuse to go WAYY off topic. :grin:

I used to work around the corner from a place (either a distributor or manufacturer, I am not sure) called "Florida Bearings," and every time I pass it I think to myself (while pointing eastwards) "Florida Bearings?? The ocean is THAT way, so north is THAT way!!" :lol:

Just a small taste of my outlandish sense of humour. :Flame: