Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Here's a weird wiring issue

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 86BRATMAN

86BRATMAN

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 3,220 posts
  • Tazewell Virginia

Posted 13 May 2007 - 01:42 AM

Ok, I just did the 4 square headlight conversion and gl bumper to my 87 std hatch. Now whenever I put the car into reverse it blow the ignition coil fuse. Any Ideas?

#2 Cougar

Cougar

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 6,340 posts
  • Anchorage

Posted 13 May 2007 - 10:27 AM

You need to go over your wiring connections. It appears you connected to a wrong wire somewhere and tied into the reverse light or the shifter circuit. Perhaps the wire colors are the same and you picked the wrong wire.

#3 86BRATMAN

86BRATMAN

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 3,220 posts
  • Tazewell Virginia

Posted 13 May 2007 - 10:33 AM

Well I thought that at first as well. But all I did was clip the plugs from the old side marker and turn signal and crimp them to the ones that go to the bumper mounted signal and new side marker. I haven't wired up the new high beams yet. I'm waiting on a trip to the junk yard to get a GL hatch wiring harness to pair up with my Brat dash.

#4 Cougar

Cougar

• Members
  • 6,340 posts
  • Anchorage

Posted 13 May 2007 - 12:46 PM

Hmm. Did you change the rear bumper or something else? Maybe the short is in the wiring to the reverse lights themselves. The problem may just be a coincidence.

#5 86BRATMAN

86BRATMAN

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 3,220 posts
  • Tazewell Virginia

Posted 13 May 2007 - 01:31 PM

No, the rear bumper is still std model, there isn't any real difference so I left it alone. I'm feeling like its more coincidence than conversion related myself. It didn't do it imediatly, just started out of nowhere yesterday afternoon.

Untill I get my hands on a multi-meter and start chasing wire gremlins I've just unplugged the conector on the trans for the 4wd and reverse lights. Drove it around for an hour or so today, using reverse quite a few times with no problems.

#6 subyrally

subyrally

Trust your Turbo-Lust

• Members
  • 2,888 posts
  • frederick, md

Posted 13 May 2007 - 07:51 PM

well, if you can find your way up to frederick maryland, i could help out with that. i have a few elctrical tools and a bit of expiriance chasine gremlins. im no master, not by far, but i am willing to help. i am available just about anytime, i am slighly unemployed and for at least hte next week, i am recovering from a biopsy, so im not going to be doing much of anything.

#7 86BRATMAN

86BRATMAN

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 3,220 posts
  • Tazewell Virginia

Posted 13 May 2007 - 08:33 PM

Well, to add more frustration to the stupidity... I plugged the wiring back up for the reverse switch and 4wd indicator that I unplugged earlier. And now its not blowing the damned fuse....

#8 Cougar

Cougar

• Members
  • 6,340 posts
  • Anchorage

Posted 13 May 2007 - 09:34 PM

You may cleared the short just be moving those wires. Did you inspect the wires for any damage to them?

#9 86BRATMAN

86BRATMAN

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 3,220 posts
  • Tazewell Virginia

Posted 14 May 2007 - 11:10 AM

The wires and spade conectors in the plug looked to be in good condition. But they were sitting really close to the starter wire, which the rubber boot is missing from, so that may have been enough to make it ground out when the car was put into reverse.

Also, when I was looking at my fusible links, I found that the middle one had been replaced with a piece of 14ga wire. I didn't think that was a good think, so I replaced it with one of the spares I have.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users