Ultimate Subaru Message Board

5speed d\r in a 84 turbo wagon

84gl

ok the wagon has a push button 4 wheel drive auto

how diffcult would it be i've change over 4 speed d\r's to 5s before on my brat and hatch so what will i have to change i know the bell housings crossmebers driveshaft axles what esle:confused:

change the tranny crossmember. you will need the 5spd's driveshaft and rear diff.

axles will fit the same. you DO NOT have to modify the bellhousing to fit the flywheel because it is TURBO

you may have to widen the trans tunnel. also use a "Miles Fox's Kit", about 3 bucks in washers, ask General disorder. it was my suggestion, he an austin have got it to work.

a 4 spd will go in with no mods, but you will need its driveshaft, crossmember, and rear diff.

the ea82 trans crossmember will fit the same.

Don't forget the clutch cable, pedal box, and U might wanna get the drive shaft lengthened like Austin and I did, cause I hear the ea82 2 piece won't work well because it is hard to line up and it shakes or something. U will definatly need to pound the tunnel, then U will need to install the 4wd linkage... Which requires u to cut the crap outta ur tranny tunnel on the inside portion of the car. U will need the 3.9 rear diff... And Jerry's ea81-ea82 5spd d/r kit.