Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Need advice on paint on 2004 Outback

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 DMc-DE

DMc-DE

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Delaware

Posted 27 November 2003 - 09:26 PM

I picked up my SeaMist Green Pearl 2004 Outback last week. With 350 miles on it, a deer decides to skid into the front quarter panel near the wheel and put a nice dent in it. Bummer !! No other damage...hood is fine, bumper is fine, driver door is fine, headlight assembly is untouched. All seams line up fine. I only need to have the quarter panel replaced...

One shop quoted $550 using a new Subaru panel and they will paint it and blend the paint into the adjacent door. Then clear coat both. He said he will not need to blend the paint onto the hood since it is on a different plane and will reflect the light differently so any color mismatch would not be noticed.

Another shop quoted $1350 and will do the same but also wanted to blend the paint spray onto the hood. I also noticed from their quote that they included a long list of parts they will need to swap out the qtr panel. The first shop just needs the qtr panel and a few clips, he said.

I asked the first shop if they could simply paint the new qtr panel off the car and then install. They said "we cannot match the paint perfectly and it will look bad unless we blend the paint into the adjacent panel...Only a hack would paint the panel off the car."

I am a mechanical engineer and work in a technical field but know little about paint or body work. To me, it seems that they should be able to get a paint mix formula from Subaru, paint and clear coat the qtr panel, and install it...And it will match. What's with this overspraying into the adjacent panel on a car that has no fading or wash swirls or even a scratch. I haven't even put my first tank of gas in let alone wash the car yet. Is paint match technology that far behind the rest of industry?

I welcome advice on what to have done. I plan on keeping this car and don't want it to look painted 5 years from now.

#2 DMc-DE

DMc-DE

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Delaware

Posted 27 November 2003 - 09:31 PM

By the way, our local Subaru dealer does not have a body shop. If I went to a Subaru dealer with a body shop, would they be able to match the paint better (by using the same paint the factory uses) than an independent shop?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users