Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Who is running an ea81 body with EJ transmission

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cyberbackpacker

cyberbackpacker

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Holland, MI 49423

Posted 17 May 2007 - 06:25 PM

I have been pouring over the ea2ej.pdf file getting ready to throw in an ej22t. I am looking for someone who has thrown in the ej 5mt tranny to elaborate a little more on the process than is mentioned in the pdf file.

Namely, do I have to alter linkages, shifter, etc? I know it states I need the front/rear xt6, and middle wrx crossmember pieces. Is that it?

Anyone have pics of theirs installed?

And yes I searched, but got very few returns for "awd", and nothing for "ej*". And I poured throw posts back to '02 about trannies in ea81's, but could not find specifically what I was looking for.

Thanks.

#2 Phizinza

Phizinza

Yip yip

• Members
  • 3,863 posts
  • South Australia

Posted 17 May 2007 - 07:59 PM

The shifter linkage is the same as a 5sp PT4WD box, so look for 5sp in EA81, I think theres something in the USRM about that.

The propshaft will need to be shortened.

I have no idea what works as a crossmember, but if you have steel, an angle grinder and a welder things always fit...

#3 cyberbackpacker

cyberbackpacker

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Holland, MI 49423

Posted 18 May 2007 - 11:47 AM

The shifter linkage is the same as a 5sp PT4WD box, so look for 5sp in EA81, I think theres something in the USRM about that.

The propshaft will need to be shortened.

I have no idea what works as a crossmember, but if you have steel, an angle grinder and a welder things always fit...

Thanks for the headsup on that, but was hoping someone that provided the xt6/wrx crossmember info could chime in. I am more inline for using as much of the lego principle as possible, before resorting to busting out steel and a welder.

I trust myself for small jobs (rad supports, exhaust, etc), but not necessarily to fab up such an integral thing as a tranny crossmember.... that could be bad juju if my welds aren't up to snuff.

So, bump for people running the xt6/wrx x-members.

#4 86BRATMAN

86BRATMAN

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 3,129 posts
  • Tazewell Virginia

Posted 18 May 2007 - 11:58 AM

Well the problem withthe xt-6/wrx crossmember setup is that it won't work in an ea81 body. You will have to make or have a crossmemebr made to work right. The shift linkage needs to be a couple inches shorter, and have a mount point made up for the rear hanger piece.

Here are some good pictures to go by of a full wrx swapped brat.
http://www.ultimates...=500&ppuser=478

#5 cyberbackpacker

cyberbackpacker

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Holland, MI 49423

Posted 18 May 2007 - 12:30 PM

Well the problem withthe xt-6/wrx crossmember setup is that it won't work in an ea81 body. You will have to make or have a crossmemebr made to work right. The shift linkage needs to be a couple inches shorter, and have a mount point made up for the rear hanger piece.

Here are some good pictures to go by of a full wrx swapped brat.
http://www.ultimates...=500&ppuser=478

That is some good info, thank you. Now I need to get my thinking cap on...

#6 86BRATMAN

86BRATMAN

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 3,129 posts
  • Tazewell Virginia

Posted 18 May 2007 - 12:34 PM

I've done a good bit of research into the complete swap as you are doing. So if you have any questions or anything just hit me up and I'll do my best.

[Hi-jack/ON] I also think I have made a breakthrough on "the ultimate sleeper" that I've been compiling reasearch for. More to come later...[Hi-jack/OFF]

#7 subaruguru

subaruguru

Oldschool Cool

• Members
  • 1,614 posts
  • Yakima Wa,

Posted 19 May 2007 - 02:46 AM

man i bet that is one fast rump roast brat lol ( high jack)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users