Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Modifying AA lift kit

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 desert dweller

desert dweller

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Big Water, UT

Posted 17 May 2007 - 10:29 PM

I would like to modify my AA lift kit so that the rear wheels are'nt kicked so far forward. What would I need to do(space out to do this)?

#2 Hodaka Rider

Hodaka Rider

Original BC Soobnut

• Members
  • 1,577 posts
  • Nelson, BC (Canada)

Posted 17 May 2007 - 11:38 PM

Drop the rear suspension crossmember like other lifts do. I looked into this, and Scott said he'd be willing to tool up for blocks if enough people want them. I was thinking maybe 2", so as to avoid dropping them so far that they might be able to catch on things easier (like some have experienced on the Ozified/BYB setup).
If you look at a stock EA-82 wagon, you'll notice the rear wheels are toward the front of the wheel well by an inch or so. The AA lift just exagerates it more.

#3 desert dweller

desert dweller

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Big Water, UT

Posted 17 May 2007 - 11:43 PM

Would I also have to drop the rear diff?

#4 Hodaka Rider

Hodaka Rider

Original BC Soobnut

• Members
  • 1,577 posts
  • Nelson, BC (Canada)

Posted 17 May 2007 - 11:50 PM

Well, maybe. You might want to drop the rear 'mustache bar' another inch.

Here's another way to do it: http://www.eagleperf...ailingArms.html

Of course, these are made for VW-based sand rails!

#5 Numbchux

Numbchux

EJ conversion addict

• Members
  • 5,991 posts
  • Duluth, MN

Posted 18 May 2007 - 12:25 AM

why? by adding blocks, you're drastically weakening suspension.

if you're not changing the strut extension, you wouldn't have to lower the diff anymore. but in order to drop the front of the trailing arms to flatten them out, you have to drop the crossmember, which the front diff hanger is bolted to.....so it'll get dropped anyway.

#6 Hodaka Rider

Hodaka Rider

Original BC Soobnut

• Members
  • 1,577 posts
  • Nelson, BC (Canada)

Posted 18 May 2007 - 12:39 AM

Kinda why I haven't actually done anything about the whole idea.

if you're not changing the strut extension, you wouldn't have to lower the diff anymore. but in order to drop the front of the trailing arms to flatten them out, you have to drop the crossmember, which the front diff hanger is bolted to.....so it'll get dropped anyway.

Yah, that's why I said maybe lower the rear an inch. Then you would have 1+1 at the rear, plus the suggested 2 at the front. For a grand total of 2" drop at front of diff, plus 2" drop at rear of diff.

#7 desert dweller

desert dweller

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Big Water, UT

Posted 18 May 2007 - 01:25 AM

I just didn't want to cut up a straight rust free body to make my tires fit. I was wondering how other lifts work as far as the rear end goes.

#8 Scott in Bellingham

Scott in Bellingham

Lets go wheelin!!

• Members
  • 3,614 posts
  • Bellingham

Posted 18 May 2007 - 07:47 AM

I just didn't want to cut up a straight rust free body to make my tires fit. I was wondering how other lifts work as far as the rear end goes.

27" tire will require only a small trim

#9 desert dweller

desert dweller

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Big Water, UT

Posted 18 May 2007 - 10:39 AM

My 28's are still in good shape and that was the smallest tire I could get that works well down here in the desert.

#10 Hodaka Rider

Hodaka Rider

Original BC Soobnut

• Members
  • 1,577 posts
  • Nelson, BC (Canada)

Posted 18 May 2007 - 10:52 AM

My 27" swampers measure out to almost 28". I had to trim only a small amount in front of the rear tires. Most people don't even notice I trimmed it.

#11 desert dweller

desert dweller

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Big Water, UT

Posted 18 May 2007 - 05:37 PM

On my last wagon I had to beat in to wheel well. I was wondering what kind of clearance I could gain by dropping the crossmember a inch. I don't mind trimming but I wanted to see what my options are before hand.

#12 Numbchux

Numbchux

EJ conversion addict

• Members
  • 5,991 posts
  • Duluth, MN

Posted 19 May 2007 - 08:45 AM

keep in mind, with it in 'stock' AA configuration, the pivot point is up by the body, so the tire won't get any closer, it'll move backwards as the suspension compresses. if you drop that crossmember, and as a result, the pivot point of the trailing arms, that'll mean that the wheel will move straight up and a bit FORWARD (if it travels far enough). towards the sheet metal you were trying to save.

I had 215/75r15s (that measured to a touch under 28s) on my 4" AA lifted EA82 wagon with about 2 hits with a small maul on that front corner of he rear fenders. the front was a different issue.

full downflex:
Posted Image

full upflex:
Posted Image

the PoopenVagon (black EA82 with 3" BYB lift and 235/75r15 tires that measured to a hair over 29") would touch the rear doors on full upflex because the trailing arms were pretty much level. and I had to re-engineer the mounts on one side, because the blocks that drop the crossmember got bashed a few too many times, and ripped the captive nuts out of the body.

#13 desert dweller

desert dweller

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Big Water, UT

Posted 19 May 2007 - 11:31 AM

How much does the BYB kit drop the rear crossmember?

#14 Numbchux

Numbchux

EJ conversion addict

• Members
  • 5,991 posts
  • Duluth, MN

Posted 19 May 2007 - 09:55 PM

How much does the BYB kit drop the rear crossmember?

I honestly don't know what they do now. but the Poopenvagon had 3" blocks everywhere. so all suspension angles are stock.

I just went wheeling with my buddy that has that rig now....and boy is it coming apart :eek:

#15 torxxx

torxxx

I void warranties

• Members
  • 2,914 posts
  • Fairbanks

Posted 29 May 2007 - 09:25 PM

I'm definately interested in Scott's drop down brackets.. I've talked to him before about it. I dont like the front rake the rear tires have. No sense in cutting out good body metal if a 2 inch bracket will adjust the tire back some.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users