Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

95 4EAT transmission cooler lines question EASY!!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 SUBARU3

SUBARU3

• 2,715 posts
  • Dallas, Ft. Worth, Texas

Posted 17 May 2007 - 11:58 PM

I'm puttting in a trans cooler on my 95 Legacy 4EAT. I'm installing cooler after the radiator cooler.

So out from trans, into radiator, out of radiator, into external cooler and then back to trans.

Question....which line is the inflow and outflow? There are 2 lines into the trans, one at the rear/ drivers side and one closer to the front/drivers side. Which line pumps the fluid OUT of the trans?

Thanks!!

Todd

#2 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,541 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 18 May 2007 - 12:10 AM

Blind guess, the one towards the front, thats where the pump is.

nipper

i can be wrong, just the hour is late and not too sure.

nipper

#3 SUBARU3

SUBARU3

• 2,715 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 12:32 AM

I think your right. I looked at my Impreza. But still not willing to bet on it.

#4 porcupine73

porcupine73

Obligate carnivore

• Members
  • 4,920 posts
  • Buffalo, NY

Posted 18 May 2007 - 06:17 AM

I'm trying to remember for sure when I did mine...My '96 has the cooler in the LH side of the radiator. I think the top hose was the return to trans and the bottom hose was the supply from trans.

The best thing to do is yank one of the hoses, run some of that 3/8" cheap clear vinyl hose from home despot from the cooler and the hose you pulled into an old milk jug, and just hit the starter for a second.

#5 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,612 posts
  • WV

Posted 18 May 2007 - 10:49 AM

after removing the lines, just crank the car over, you'll see which one fluid comes out. don't start it or run it like that, just crank it as a test.

i wouldn't use the radiator cooler at all. run the trans lines to the cooler and back. using the radiator adds nothing but more failure modes to your trans...more hoses, more clamps and even worse, your radiator is old or will be at some point and you can't see the internal cooling mechanism to see if it's failing, corroded or compromised in anyway. just use your new dedicated cooler.

#6 The Dude

The Dude

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 800 posts
  • South Carolina

Posted 18 May 2007 - 06:24 PM

after removing the lines, just crank the car over, you'll see which one fluid comes out. don't start it or run it like that, just crank it as a test.

i wouldn't use the radiator cooler at all. run the trans lines to the cooler and back. using the radiator adds nothing but more failure modes to your trans...more hoses, more clamps and even worse, your radiator is old or will be at some point and you can't see the internal cooling mechanism to see if it's failing, corroded or compromised in anyway. just use your new dedicated cooler.

I have to question your advise in this occasion. The in radiator cooler operates on a fluid-to-fluid heat exchange which is many times more effective than the fluid-to-air heat exchange of the add on cooler. An add on cooler is just that, an add on. It can only be used to provide relatively modest amounts of additional cooling. An add on cooler should never be used in place of the in radiator cooler. You would end with considerably less cooling capacity as the result. Your AT would become one big deep fryer on wheels. Do you want fries with that tranny?
Not me.

#7 porcupine73

porcupine73

Obligate carnivore

• Members
  • 4,920 posts
  • Buffalo, NY

Posted 18 May 2007 - 08:11 PM

If you do decide to go with just the aftermarket cooler and bypass the in-radiator cooler, go with a big enough cooler to take the load. Just as an example, Perma-cools instructions tell you what their minimum size cooler is for various kinds of vehicles if you desire to bypass the in-tank cooler. Nobody wants coolant in their ATF.

The in-tank cooler to a degree acts like a temperature buffer. It can help warm the ATF when it's cold and cool it when it's hot.

Also, there is an OEM Subaru ATF cooler kit available if you want to go that route.

#8 SUBARU3

SUBARU3

• 2,715 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 02:24 AM

Well for the record, it's the front, forward most line that is the output.

I used the in line setup. Into the radiator, out into the external cooler and then back to the trans.

Thanks all for the good dialog!!

Todd

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users