Ultimate Subaru Message Board

what speaker sizes fit in 93 legacy wagon

Well, since I own a sedan, I can only be sure about what to do for your front doors!

I am using 6 inch JBL Power Series, 2-way. Top quality sound for the money. I ripped the factory speakers out their metal mounting bracket and re-used these to fix the JBL's into place.

I have a added a "P-Kit" and lifted the tweeters up to the area just ahead of the door handle. It's snug behind the ventilation tube, but it does fit. No doubt, moving the tweeters up is a BIG plus for sound.

I will look into posting some pics this evening - European time!

My rear shelf is 5.25 inch, also JBL Power Series, but the bass is sadly lacking compared to the 6 inch units. Therefore, I strongly recommend using 6 inches all round, even it does mean cutting into things.

6.5 inch front and rear. Don't bother upgrading the rear speakers, since they fire upwards and do not contain a large and sealed airspace for the speaker anyways.

On my 93 Legacy wgn I used Boston Pro 6.5's in front and an old set of Pioneer 6.5"s that were just slightly better than the stock Clarions. I ran the rear speakers at lower gain, and set my amps high pass at 120 hz. If I tried to run them loud and with more bass, the would rattle and there would be very poor cone control because the mounting area was not sealed properly.

For the front speakers, do not mount component tweeters more than a few inches away from the component woofer and do not mount it higher than knee level or so. Mount them low and aim them at the dome light. Why:

If you separate the component woofer and component tweeter by more than a few inches you will create two very distinct sound sources, which does not sound good (it confuses the ears/brain).

Since no one is sitting in absolute middle point between the tweeters, the tweeter that is closest will always seem louder, and having the tweeters mounted high only makes this situation worse.

Also since there is always one tweeter closer, the sound waves from it will reach the driver/passenger first, causing the sound imaging to shift left or right. This is called "time alignment" and is a difficult problem to solve without advanced digital signal processors, and even these can only correct the "time alignment" for a single driver/passenger. By mounting the tweeter low on the door (or better yet the kick panel), the relative distance between the left and right tweeter is much closer to being equal for driver/passenger than if it was mounted higher up.

You may note that many component speaker crossovers have two connections for the tweeter, typically 0db and -6db. The -6db setting is typically used when the tweeter is installed too high and is way too loud. Pro speakers don't have this..... because they are mounted for optimum imaging.

So why do manufacturers place the tweeters up high? Its just eye candy, like putting a bigger wing on a WRX to make if go faster.....

Subaru's sail mounted tweeters are tuned down about 5 db or so, and even far more than that on the fantastic McInstosh sound system.

Check out some audiophile cars and you will note without exception that the tweeters are mounted low on the door, or preferably in custom built kick panels. There are two classes of car audio people though, Sound Pressure Level (SPL) guys who like to go deaf, and Sound Quality (SQ) guys who like actual music as opposed to bass tests. SQ guys would never consider high mounting tweeters as it is impossible to correct the balance and time aligment problems doing so creates.

Well, Alias, I hear your arguments, they are well thought out, and I offer my respect in that regard.

Having said that: A car is not the place to enage in Hi-Fi fanatism. There are to many disruptive noises around.

I find that high mounted tweeters deliver a very high sound quality. Low mounted they tend to get damped by my legs and by those of the front seat passenger.

A simple adjustment on the balance of the amp will present a fine sound stage, that is plenty good for automotive purposes.

Originally posted by oregonloyale

wow , what a thread of info and opinion I have started .

Lets keep em coming and please give some photos of your custom work.

Oh yeah what is the max depth that will fit in the door?

Any speaker with a top mount depth of less than 2 1/4 inches will fit. And deeper and it will interfere with the window glass and mechanism.