Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

79 wagon towing question

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 landozion

landozion

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Ogden

Posted 19 May 2007 - 03:12 PM

I am inheriting a 79 fwd manual wagon. (actually its my girlfriend who is inheriting it, I am inheriting the work on it). It has sat for about 5 years, but was running when stored. I need to tow it about 400 miles. I know I couldnt tow a modern subaru on all fours, but can I on this wagon if I put it in nuetral? I have a tow bar I can adapt, so am hoping to do it that way rather than rent a dolly. This will be an ongoing project to get it road worthy again, and I am sure I will be back with a lot more questions. I will probably have to put new tires on it before towing, anything else I should be aware of? Thanks for all your help, have two subarus already (90 justy and 97 OBS) but this beast will be a real learning experience. I dont even know what engine or tranny is in it.

#2 75subie

75subie

I`m sold on Subaru

• Members
  • 3,910 posts
  • Walden

Posted 19 May 2007 - 03:26 PM

its going to have a 1600cc 4 speed

and yep, you can tow it on all 4's with no problems in nuetral as with any manual transmission subaru.

#3 landozion

landozion

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Ogden

Posted 19 May 2007 - 03:35 PM

Thanks for the quick response 75subie, thats what I was hoping to hear. How hard are parts to find for these older vehicles? I ask because there are a couple junked 79s out in the pasture too, tried to find someone local (wyoming) who wanted em, but no one seemed to. So I am thinking I will take what might be needed or valuable off them and salvage what I can. Probably front clip and maybe some interior stuff, anything else in demand? (Told you I would have lots of questions:grin: )

#4 75subie

75subie

I`m sold on Subaru

• Members
  • 3,910 posts
  • Walden

Posted 19 May 2007 - 03:43 PM

maintainence parts aren`t too hard to find, but straight, clean body panels are (and lights). also any good interior panels are worth keeping. any trim pieces or add ons (alloys, special bumpers, ect.) the motors and tranny's rarely go bad to the point of no return.

please post some pics!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users