Ultimate Subaru Message Board

burning coolant

so my brother blew the head gaskets on his ea82 the other week. we replaced those and did all that proper work. but for some reason its still burning coolant during startup:confused: has not over heated since though. is there any other place where coolant can get into the combustion chamber? or does someone have a ea82 engine they would like to sell :lol:

it seems to smoke when it warms up. im thinking when the thermostat opens? it has new intake gaskets head gaskets exhaust gaskets and com tower o rings. guess ill take the head off again but i didnt see a crack when i looked the first time i took the heads off. so im gonna pull the drivers side again and look. (the gasket that blew) anyone have a spare head?:banana:

it seems to smoke when it warms up. im thinking when the thermostat opens? it has new intake gaskets head gaskets exhaust gaskets and com tower o rings. guess ill take the head off again but i didnt see a crack when i looked the first time i took the heads off. so im gonna pull the drivers side again and look. (the gasket that blew) anyone have a spare head?:banana:

Just pull the exhaust off and look up into the exhaust port from there. No need to remove the head. If it stops smoking after warm up it could be residual crap in the Catalytic converter. It's common for them to smoke for several days or weeks after a HG change. If it was actually burning coolant the cloud would get thicker after warmup. Drive it for a few weeks, watch the temp, and see if you are actually losing coolant over time. If you are not losing coolant you probably are still burning junk out of the cat.

well how it burns at startup is it doesnt start smoking instantly after the starts to get a little warm it starts to smoke. and it smokes alot. thick and white for awhile. then it starts to go away and after the drive we have to add more coolant. havent had a chance to check the exhaust ports due to the car being at my brothers. ill keep you updated thankd for the help and if anyone thinks of anything else i can try please let me know

did he overheat, after doing the headgaskets, and then this problem arose?

and another question, did you use OEM intake manifold gaskets? IF not, the that COULD be your problem right there.. but a coolant system pressure check would be called for before doing all that work again.

i got everything but the timing belts and head gaskets at the dealer. that dummy didnt connect the heatercore hose correctly before driving and didnt check his fluids before going to work the next day. :banghead: ill do some compression checks and the coolant pressure check on friday. ill keep you posted

so, had you seen smoke before this overheat or not?

It sounds like there is a good chance that you had no CHANCE to see smoke before the overheat, in which case the answer to my question may make no difference..

I hope nothing awful has gone wrong, but the only way to proceed is patiently and logically. sounds like the next things you need to do are

1. drop exhaust and check for exhaust port crack in the head

2. check cooling system pressure (or maybe just replace the cap.. they are cheap enough.)

3. compression test.

There may be other things worth checking before going so far down the road of "OMG did we blow ANOTHER headgasket," but I just wanted to be clear that I would NOT be umping to that conclusion yet.. BUT there is a minute possibility of it, if the engine overheated.

Another young lad getting thumped in the back of his skull by his own impatience. That lesson sound familiar to anyone else? :grin:

got the head off today. def leaking coolant into drivers side cylinder. could not see visiable crack or feel one. is it possiable there is a crack in the head that is completely internal? and how often does the case crack? it seemed fine as well

is it possible that it was leaking into the intake thru the intake gasket, or leaking through the headgasket?

You say it was definitely leaking coolant into the cylinder; that much was obvious from the smoke. What evidence did you discover that led you to the conclusion that it was leaking into the cylinder?

coolant in the cylinder when i pulled the head off. also the head gasket was wet. intake manifold and IM gasket are both good. so if my head gasket is wet....? also is it possiable if one of the coolant journals is cloged and that rerouted coolant and forced it to the HG?

coolant in the cylinder when i pulled the head off. also the head gasket was wet. intake manifold and IM gasket are both good. so if my head gasket is wet....? also is it possiable if one of the coolant journals is cloged and that rerouted coolant and forced it to the HG?

I think I'm gonna call a spade a spade and agree this was a headgasket issue. If the cracks were in the exhaust then the water would not be in the cylinder. It would be only in the exhaust.

My one question is are you sure that that water didn't just fall down that cylinders intake port when you removed the manifold? If you're sure that's not were the water came from then I think this is a head gasket issue. Did you have your heads surfaced originally? If not I would do them and Definately check them either way with a straigh edge.

they werent warped at all i checked so i didnt get resurfaced. the heads looks to be in excellent condition actually no pitting or anything. i know that coolant didnt get down there because it was driven about 20 miles total and coolant had to be added each time it was driven. it would smoke when warmed up but stop after about 3-6 miles :confused: