Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Good or bad - Nippon or Hitach distys

I have two distributors, one Hitachi and one Nippon-Denso. Both of them are out of 1985 GL Wagons EA82. I was wondering wich one I should use. I am curently useing the Hitachi which has only one vacume line for the advance. If I change over to the Nippon, it has two vacume prts on the advance. anyone know which one is which, and were the second one goes.

I was under the impression that the Nippon dizzy was only on 2WD EA81s? If that's the case, you won't get it to fit an EA82 (easily).

Are you sure the second one you have is a nippon?

Also, with EA81s at least, the Nippon and Hitachi dizzies have the same specs. Same curve, same spark, etc. You wouldn't notice one lick of difference between the two as far as performance.

There are Nippon EA82 distys. I know that all carbed 87s have them. I've never seen one in an 85 though. According to the 85 FSM it must be from a carbed 2wd USA or any California car. Meaning used with the "feedback" ECU controlled carb.

As far as Advance curves there is actually a bit of difference. Both have very similar mechanical advance curves, totaling up to 15 degrees of advance at 3000 rpm. The Denso disty can only add an additional 8-10 degrees with vaccuum where as the hitachi can add more than 15. The denso disty is also meant to be used with the feedback carb system. If you don't have a feedback carb, I would stick with the hitachi.

I personally think the quality of Hitachi components is way higher than Denso. Plus the Hitachi distys are somewhat serviceable. You can easily replace the mech adv. springs or adjust the air gap. Densos are all but a sealed, non serviceable unit.

I bought the car used, and it suposedly had a replacment motor from over seas. I don't know what it came out of, but it was only supose to have around 45000 miles on it. About two mounths after buying it, it blew a head gasket. The car is a 1985 GL wagon 4WD. I don't know if it had a feed back carb or not, but it has the same Hitachi carb as the 1985 GL Wagon 4WD that I am driving now it has the Hitachi disty on it. The carbs have the same wires and vacume lines. The wires are for the choke and anti deisel silanoid. As far as being sure the dist is a Nippon, it says Nippondenso 22100AA102 100291-1090. I have also bought the cap and rotors for both at different times and the other disty is deffenitly a Hitachi. The Hitachi cap and rotor is the only one that fits it.

Yeah, that all sounds right. The US carbed models all had Hitachi Carbs even those with the denso disty setup. But I think you should stick with the Hitachi. Are you using your US 85 intake and carb? Or the JDM setup? I think the JDM denso disty is from a car with a feedback carb, which I think uses that second vacuum for an auxillary advance control, operated bya solenoid. Either way I say stay with the Hitachi. They are pretty dependable and servicable. I've never really seen one *fail*. They can get gunked up, stick or the Vac advance can break. But all that is fixable.

Thank you all for your feed back, you all have helped me make up my mind. I will stick with the Hitachi anf just rebuild it, well you know what I mean. The only other ? I have, is can I still use the Accel Super Stock Coil: Primary Resist 1.2 Ohms Secondary 8.9 K Ohms; Turn Ratio 100:1; Max Voltage 42000v wwiith the Hitachi disty?

Thank you all for your feed back, you all have helped me make up my mind. I will stick with the Hitachi anf just rebuild it, well you know what I mean. The only other ? I have, is can I still use the Accel Super Stock Coil: Primary Resist 1.2 Ohms Secondary 8.9 K Ohms; Turn Ratio 100:1; Max Voltage 42000v wwiith the Hitachi disty?

I can tell you that the resistance values are very close to stock specs.

Primary=between 8-1.02 ohms

Secondary=between 8-12K ohms

But I have no experience using one.

I was thinking of runing an Accel Super Stock Coil: Primary Resist 1.2 Ohms Secondary 8.9 K Ohms; Turn Ratio 100:1; Max Voltage 42000v; Yellow.

Do not waste your money on that hunk of garbage. I just had one of them go bad on me this weekend. All of a sudden my car died without warning on the highway. Tried to start it and it would crank but the tach wouldnt move. I put the original coil back in and all was well. I would say stick with factory coil as these engines really dont put out enough power to warrent getting an aftermarket coil. I never noticed a difference. If you really must have an aftermarket coil go with a MSD. Ive heard nothing bad about there coils but have heard tones bad about accel. Do a search on this board for Accel coils and you will see the horror stories that other board members have told. I just added to it.