Ultimate Subaru Message Board

90 Legacy 5 spd tranny problem

Guest hugota

I just picked up a 90 Legacy 5 speed and besides being in bad need of a clutch (slips pretty bad) it pops out of 4th gear really bad (basically I go from 3rd to 5th).

The linkage is increddibly sloppy so I put the front up on ramps and crawled underneath and it seems that the plastic bushings that are supposed to go in the "u joint" type of connection that attaches to the xmission shifter linkage are gone so there's a lot of wobble there. Also, the xmission rubber mount seems to be kinda missing a lot of the rubber that would prevent the tranny from going up under load (not the big rubber feet that it sits on) so I'm thinking that maybe the combination of all of these worn/missing parts cause 4th to pop out by not letting the linkage stay pushed in.

I know that I have to remove all of this stuff to remove the transaxel in order to replace the clutch but I don't want to have to do it twice (the second time to take the tranny apart to fix 4th) so I want to get your opinion on wether the missing bushings/sloppy shifter/sloppy transmount could cause 4th to pop out or if there is a common problem on these (I'm new to these cars).

Sorry for the long post but I could not explain it in a more concise way.

Hugo

Guest Tolerance02

A few q's.

Is it a Front wheel drive or 4wd?

How many miles/km has the car?

Is there also a worn bearing noise, that changes or go away when the engine is idling and you push and release the clutch pedal or while driving?

Guest hugota

It's a 4wd with 157K miles on it.

There is no detectable bearing noise that changes when the clutch is in or out.

The clutch is defenetly shot and I'm sure the throwout bearing is on it's way so I'll be replacing all of these things. My main concern is that I don't want to replace the clutch (with a full kit) and the missing bushings and shuch on the linkage and then find out that I need to pul it out again because there is an internal problem in the tranny in 4th gear (maybe the synchro or something).

Hugo

Guest Tolerance02

That's why I asked about milage and noises. If a gear pops out its mostly because of worn bearings inside the gbox and in that case you should here it.

If it still possible to drive the car whit the old clutch I'd say do the linkage repair first and see the result.

Urban.

Guest hugota

Sounds like a plan.

I bought the service manual and it seems like a bit of a chore to pull the tranny out so I'll try to take the slop out of the shifter with new bushings and probably get a new trans rubber mount and see if the problem goes away.

The car is drivable but you have to be gentle on takeoffs and accelleration to keep it from slipping.

Thanks.

Hugo

Guest George92LegWag

I've had several Japanese cars (and one Ford truck) that jump out of one gear or another in which the gearbox was perfectly quiet.

One possible cause is leaving you hand on the shifter when you are not shifting (like holding onto the stick the entire time you are in 2nd gear until the upshift to third.) Resting your hand on the shifter places strain on the linkage, and causes the gear teeth themselves to become used to the extra pressure, and when it's not there (new driver of a used car who drives differently) it starts jumping out of gear.

Guest Hondasucks

On the bottom of the tranny, there should be three bolts in a row, those hold the detent springs and balls that hold the shift forks in position, when they start to wear out, the transmission likes to pop out of gear. Replace those balls and springs,and make sure those bolts are in there good and snug (not too tight, don't want to strip the case) and it should stay in gear fine.

(Each one works two gears, 1/2, 3/4, and 5/R) I THINK that from left to right, looking up at the tranny from the bottom,facing towards the front of the car, they are 5/R, 3/4, 1/2, so your middle one is probably the worn out one.. USUALLY the balls and springs wear out first, but if replacing them does not fix the problem, then the detent is worn on the shift rail, and the only way to fix it is to replace the shift rail.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest drzauis

I am having a different sort of a problem. I have had my clutch replaced on my 90 subaru legacy L AWD wagon and now my throw out bearing is making noise. is is louder when the transmission is engaged then when I press in the clutch pedal. it is a kind of clicking noise. the volume of the noise changes slightly kind of randomly. The car runs and drives fine and I can smoke all four tires at the same time when I pull up next to a honda. my clutch is only 3 months old and I had everything replaced. is it just because the car is old? Is there any way to fix it?

Guest wrxsubaru

My dads 90 5spd awd legacy 326,000 miles has some problems that are strating to show up. Geting the car into 2nd gear is now more of a chance than a certany, some times it just wont go in, but if you go between 1st and 2nd gear before you start out it usally works after words. It seems like it needs to be alined or someting. Also in 3rd gear when you give it gass or let off the gas the gear shifter/stick moves foward when decerating about 1 inch, and moves backwards 1 inch when accerating. I noticed the movment in the stick about 50,000 miles ago but the stick did not move near as much. This only happencs in 3rd gear. Any ideas a worn out bushing, or mount? The tranny seems to be getting better, or thats what my dad said. This tranny seems to do that, gets bad and then fixes it self.

Guest Tolerance02

The movement of the shifter link could be caused by worn mount(s).

The shift problems may be because of to thick gear oil, this could explain the better shifting now in summertime when the oil gets warmer and thinner. By shifting first and second before starting you press the oil from between the synchro's what makes it more easy to shift by take off when the gears are moving. Worn connections between shift handle and gear box also could explain the problem but in that case it can't fix it self.

Urban.