Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

coolant leakage

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Collins

Collins

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Homer,NY

Posted 28 November 2003 - 02:05 PM

My 97 2.5 Outback is leaking coolant and it looks like it's coming from inside the timming chain cover.Any ideas would be very helpful.
Collins

#2 theotherskip

theotherskip

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 329 posts
  • Philly, PA

Posted 28 November 2003 - 03:10 PM

the car has a belt, not chain. probably coming from the water pump. have it looked at soon, as if the pump siezes, it will break the belt, which will destroy the engine...

#3 Collins

Collins

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Homer,NY

Posted 28 November 2003 - 04:19 PM

thanks Skip,I put a new water pump last fall so thats why I'm shocked about this problem.

#4 1 Lucky Texan

1 Lucky Texan

I read a lot about Subarus

• Members
  • 4,654 posts
  • Texas

Posted 28 November 2003 - 09:30 PM

Well, the WP would be anyone's first guess but it is hard to believe if it was replaced recently. You'll have to go in there to confirm I guess but, could this be a head gasket external leak out the 'front' ?

#5 alias20035

alias20035

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 357 posts
  • Canada

Posted 29 November 2003 - 03:31 AM

Originally posted by 1 Lucky Texan
Well, the WP would be anyone's first guess but it is hard to believe if it was replaced recently. You'll have to go in there to confirm I guess but, could this be a head gasket external leak out the 'front' ?

I would guess that water pump or its gasket (or the thermostat gasket) is leaking. But you are also due (or past due) for radiator and heater hose replacement.

It is possible that the water pump internal seal has failed and the coolant is coming from the water pump drip hole, was the pump a rebuilt one? I don't like the rebuilt water pumps, especially since I can get a brand new one for only $10-20 more.

Did you do your regular coolant changes (2 years/30,000 miles) and use a good coolant and add water pump lubricant? Old coolant, and coolant without sufficient lubricating properties will wear the water pump seal very quickly.

#6 Collins

Collins

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Homer,NY

Posted 29 November 2003 - 08:50 AM

Well,I should have given you guys the history on this outback.Last year I had an overheating prob.and it turned out to be a head gasket.But,before i found that out I replaced the radiator,water pump,timming belt,hoses etc. Not sure if the water pump was a rebuilt.
I have a bad feeling that that head gasket could be the trouble.

Thanks for all the help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users