Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My lifted Soob weekend

So, I finally put the Loyale on the road for three days (sat/sun/mon). Here's my impressions:

1) Loyale bog/hesitation sucks - especially with 27" SSR's involved and no low range.

2) SSR's are NOISY at highway speed.

3) Snow and mud are cake, even in 2WD (see note 4), with a lift and SSR's.

4) When a rear axle pops out of the cup, you have instant 2WD.

5) People like lifted Soobs :cool:

So, I tried to combat the bog. Car has new air filter/plugs/wires (Bosch)/cap/rotor. CTS, TPS, and MAF all measure out good, injector seems OK, too. Timing was previously wrong, I fixed it. Bogs until 2K RPM's, then goes fine. Very little oil in intake, MAF cleaned. ????????? No codes.

Anyways, yesterday I tackled a popular mountain bike trail, and was doing good until I got to a point where it was dangerous to go further without 4LO. (not much chance of extraction up there - too narrow for most trucks) So, I started to turn around, and had spinning tire action - this in a spot where I should have been OK with 4WD engaged. Then I remember a strange ClUnK a couple hundred feet earlier. Got myself turned around and back home (clack-clunk-clack), and found that the PS side axle shaft was held in at the inner end by the boot only! Pulled it - circlip was popped and mangled. So, gotta get another and hope it stays together longer. Other than that, car's off the road until I can sell my Passat. Same story for over a year now. Why is it so damn hard to sell a good car, when s#!t cars sell fast?

Rear axle. Standard AA 3" rear. Makes me wonder if they popped any axles with the kit on their car. Then again, this was the factory original.

I don't have lo range. I've been trying to find the right transmission at the right price - no luck so far. I know that if I'm patient I can get one for under $100, so I have trouble justifying the $200+ that most places want for them (add shipping, too).

On the positive side, this thing feels almost as powerful with the big tires as my '83 did with stock tires. (except for the bog, that is).