Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 front brakes on EA81

mikeshoup

What's the chance of fitting EA82 front brakes on an EA81?

I would think changing the knuckle and then using all the brake stuff from the EA82 would work. Is the strut mount different? If so, then the EA82 strut with EA81 top mounts?

And just how much bigger is the EA82 discs than the EA81 discs? I know they're bigger, but just how much?

Yep they fit.

Strut mount (lower) is identical.

Yep they are bigger.

tie rod ends are your only grey area... grab a few different ones from the junk yard and experiment, there is a combo that fits.

Big difference in performance ...Lego for the win.

>>The standard silverish steelies would work I believe. The ea82 cars had them and I don't think there was much variation from the earlier design.

Didn't the offset change b/w EA81 and EA82 ?

Dean.

Hi,

This is a project I have been intending to do for a while , I did measure some parts for it, the knuckle will fit the ball joint and it appears to be the same in height and the arm for the tie rod is the same. But the ea82 strut diameter the part that clamps, is bigger than an ea81 by about 100 thousandths of an inch. So I am going to disagree with matty B that it all fits. They sure look the same but definately are not.If you use the EA-82 strut though and the Ea-81 tops, but springs are the one issue that is in question. I think either will fit but ride height is unsure, and I cant remember the spring rate difference right now. This is further confused by the dimention of the struts from where it clamps and the spring seat on it. I am checkin those next, just looking for time to do it, I have all the stuff. My 84 wagon should stop well with EA-82 discs all round.

Bquote=mikeshoup]What's the chance of fitting EA82 front brakes on an EA81?

I would think changing the knuckle and then using all the brake stuff from the EA82 would work. Is the strut mount different? If so, then the EA82 strut with EA81 top mounts?

And just how much bigger is the EA82 discs than the EA81 discs? I know they're bigger, but just how much?

they will fit.i've put ea 82 struts with ea81 strut tops onto ea81 knuckles.and never had a problem.i've also used ea82 springs on ea81 struts.and vice versa.put away your calipers and do some fabbin/modifyin cheers, brian

Hi,

This is a project I have been intending to do for a while , I did measure some parts for it, the knuckle will fit the ball joint and it appears to be the same in height and the arm for the tie rod is the same. But the ea82 strut diameter the part that clamps, is bigger than an ea81 by about 100 thousandths of an inch. So I am going to disagree with matty B that it all fits. They sure look the same but definately are not.If you use the EA-82 strut though and the Ea-81 tops, but springs are the one issue that is in question. I think either will fit but ride height is unsure, and I cant remember the spring rate difference right now. This is further confused by the dimention of the struts from where it clamps and the spring seat on it. I am checkin those next, just looking for time to do it, I have all the stuff. My 84 wagon should stop well with EA-82 discs all round.

Bquote=mikeshoup]What's the chance of fitting EA82 front brakes on an EA81?

as far as the rims go.all it takes is a little grindin on the caliper itself to clear them.if you mount the wheel and turn it a little(if possible).you should see a mark on the caliper .then remove material as needed.it is not a vital part of the caliper.it is simply pot metal anyway.just do it.if you ************ it up get ahold of me and i will give you another damn caliper.cheers, brian

put away your calipers and do some fabbin/modifyin cheers, brian

That's my attitude right there!

Once I get the parts, I'll try this out!

FYI: Parts catalogs show the EA82 rotors are about 1/2 inch larger than the EA81 rotors. Should be good for some more braking powar!