Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

96 Legacy GT Wagon with 4EAT Speedo off 15%-20%

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 RallyKeith

RallyKeith

Got Subaru(s)?

• Members
  • 1,486 posts
  • Reading, Pa

Posted 24 May 2007 - 10:34 AM

My 96 Legacy GT Wagon's Speedometer is reading fast by 15%-20% That means when it says about 36, I'm only going 30-31, and when it says 70, well I'm only going about 55. It has what is supposed to be the correct 4EAT transmission. The speedometer is original, the tires are the correct size for the car and have about ½ their tread on them. What could be causing it to read soo far off, and does anyone know how to fix it?

Keith

#2 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,896 posts
  • WV

Posted 24 May 2007 - 10:39 AM

i guess if you're sure the final drive ratio is correct it's a waste to check, but i'd want to verify what it has versus what it should have. rotate wheels and count driveshaft rotation, it's not too hard...annoying part is just looking under the car. 10 rotations of one will give 3.9 or 4.11 turns of the other..or should?

other than being off by that amount it doesn't do anything erratic, jumpy, sticking, etc? bizarre.

#3 RallyKeith

RallyKeith

Got Subaru(s)?

• Members
  • 1,486 posts
  • Reading, Pa

Posted 24 May 2007 - 10:48 AM

i guess if you're sure the final drive ratio is correct it's a waste to check, but i'd want to verify what it has versus what it should have. rotate wheels and count driveshaft rotation, it's not too hard...annoying part is just looking under the car. 10 rotations of one will give 3.9 or 4.11 turns of the other..or should?

other than being off by that amount it doesn't do anything erratic, jumpy, sticking, etc? bizarre.

No, it doesn't do anything crazy. The drive ratio better be the same. I bought the car with a bad transmission, and the replacement unit was bought based on the car VIN, and the numbers matched between what came out and what went in.

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 286 posts
  • Edmonton

Posted 24 May 2007 - 12:38 PM

Mine is off by about 10% as well, I'll have to check that the final ratio is the proper one for my car.

#5 porcupine73

porcupine73

Obligate carnivore

• Members
  • 4,950 posts
  • Buffalo, NY

Posted 24 May 2007 - 04:33 PM

How did you determine that the speedo is off?

#6 Manarius

Manarius

1995 Subaru SVX LSi

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  • Grantham

Posted 24 May 2007 - 05:27 PM

The Speedo is off by about 10% by nature of of the speedo setup. I don't know how to account for the other 5-10%.

#7 86BRATMAN

86BRATMAN

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 3,339 posts
  • Tazewell Virginia

Posted 24 May 2007 - 11:14 PM

The Speedo is off by about 10% by nature of of the speedo setup. I don't know how to account for the other 5-10%.

How do you figure that?

#8 Manarius

Manarius

1995 Subaru SVX LSi

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  • Grantham

Posted 25 May 2007 - 05:39 PM

How do you figure that?

I just know that on the 1990-1994 Legacies, the speedo is off by about 10% on standard size wheels and tires. I don't know why that is, but it just is. I figure it's something to do with the speedo setup and gear in the 4EAT.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users