Ultimate Subaru Message Board

new subaru RX owner..looking for info

Ben L

hey, i didnt know the last detail, but oh-well. I had never seen an 86 RX, that's all.

lets see some more pics. i am a fan of 85 an d 86, i like them better for an ea82. i had an 86 wagon, and an 86 sedan. the wagon became parts, the sedan was a 4wd auto, and a 5spd dual range from the wagon. i like the interiors better, and especially the steering wheel!

i think it would be neat to do an RX conversion to a GL, with all the stuff that would make it an RX

Ben L, could you send me the VIN of your car, or post it here, that will answer the question.

I must say, it Foxes behave, he did get a lot of the info correct, he just doesn't know that much about that model changes that happened at the 86/87 model year break. For the record Fox, my 86 3dr 4WD Turbo had an analog dash, the back lights were white, my 85 and 86 GL and GL-10 turbos have digital dashes, their back light is orange, that is where I think you got the orange light info, from people with digital dashes.

If it is a RX, 5 speed D/Rs are standard, so is a LSD rear diff. Fox, apparently you didn't read my post, because you state, "baut all you got out is the fact that they werent white in 86. ", I also took you about the trannys that they had in 86.

Here is my 86 GL-10 4WD Turbo, it looks just like an 86 RX except my car came stock with air suspension, and a moon roof.

86%20Turbo1.jpg

Note the little spoiler on the trunk lid and the air dam in front, there is also a little aero kit thing by the rear door. This car now has the RX suspension, a D/R 5 speed on-demand 4WD tranny and a VLSD rear diff.

Originally posted by Ben L

when 4wd is engaged, the green signal lights up. i didn't notice a LO lighting up, but seriously, i only played with the car for about 5 mins today..it was raining and nasty.

Assuming your car is dual-range (and I think all RXs were D/R, but I'm not positive), your shifter should have three positions: FWD, 4WD High and 4WD Low. According to the manual, you can shift from FWD to 4WD High on the fly but must be driving straight when you do so. Shifting from 4WD High to 4WD Low does not require driving straight, but does require using the clutch. (BTW, there are actually 4 positions but one is an unmarked "neutral" position between FWD and 4WD High.)

hehe fox, look at my link to my RX, its black, has 4wd turbo RX on the side, analog gauges that are almost white, maybe orange tint to them at night time, has teh dual range 4wd tranny, and 3.70 LSD rear diff.. no center diff lock, no pushbutton.. no side trim, front valance, or rear wing like the 3rd.. i just have a little black lip on the trunk.. i'm sure Ben's is the same as mine just 1 year newer and blue, LOL

My 85' RX

Originally posted by Dr. RX

If it is a RX, 5 speed D/Rs are standard, so is a LSD rear diff. Fox, apparently you didn't read my post, because you state, "baut all you got out is the fact that they werent white in 86. ", I also took you about the trannys that they had in 86.

i was referring to the pert time units as 5spd Dual Range, and the RX trans as the Full-Time Dual Range

Originally posted by Warp3

Assuming your car is dual-range (and I think all RXs were D/R, but I'm not positive), your shifter should have three positions: FWD, 4WD High and 4WD Low. According to the manual, you can shift from FWD to 4WD High on the fly but must be driving straight when you do so. Shifting from 4WD High to 4WD Low does not require driving straight, but does require using the clutch. (BTW, there are actually 4 positions but one is an unmarked "neutral" position between FWD and 4WD High.)

warp3, what you are describing is a part time 4wd 5spd dual range, the RX has an open center diff. this not all aapply to the full-time units.

but the diff lock on the full-time acts like a part time when its in 4wd

Fox, you just are not understanding, from 85 to 86 the RXs (all sedans) had 5 speed D/R 4WD on-demand trannys, they didn't get Full-time 4WD trannys until 87. The differenece was that the RX (being a turbo) had a ratio of 3.70 and the non-RXs (and non-turbos) had a ratio of 3.90. There arr no center diffs in the 85 or 86 trannys, that didn't come along until 87, with the Full-time 4WD tranny, an 86 RX would have three positions to the level, 2WD (FWD), 4WD Hi, 4WD Low.

the post describing the operation of the dual range 4wd is how mine operates. it is described almost exactly that way in the owners manual.

vin #: JF2 AC56B8GE247878

there is no rear spoiler :( and no side decals. the plate on the back says RX 4WD TURBO in the center.

does anyone know where i can get a rear spoiler?

Off to the DMV to get tags!

Ben, the spoiler for your sedan is a trunk mounted "lip" spoiler. They are made of a pliable urethane and will break off chunks if pushed on too hard.

A post in the marketplace may find you one, they were optional on other sedans. Hope this helps

Thanks Ben, for all those concerned, it is a real RX, you can go to my web site and check the VIN if you want, but I know that since it has the 56B combination in the 6th, 7th, and 8th positions of the VIN that it is a RX.

I'll have to try and find my 86 dealer broucher, maybe Qman can find his quicker, I seem to remember a small decal on the rear door down low, but I can't remember what it said, I know on my 85 and 86 non-RXs it say 4WD TURBO in red. These decals are no longer availabe for a dealer, I was hopingf to get a set from another board member who bought out a Subaru dealers old parts, but he never came through. I have a source that I could get those decals duplicated if people needed them. Good luck on the spoiler, the original one on mine has two large chucks missing like Skip says happens, I looked a long time before I found one in a wrecking yard and carefully removed it.

and no side decals

That part doesn't surprise me...mine has the side decals but they are so faded you can barely see them (in the photos I linked to above they aren't even visible at all). I guess that's what 183k miles will to do a car...lol :)

Off to the DMV to get tags! [/b]

That reminds me...did anyone's insurance company actually know what an RX was? State Farm didn't have RX in the list so I told her it was similar to a GL Turbo and she just listed that instead (because "Other" wanted way too much info like MSRP, etc.). But when I called off the VIN number to her, "RX 4WD Turbo" appeared there (despite the other field still reading GL :rolleyes: ).

So since they also didn't know what a 2.5RS was when I bought it in late '98, I'm listed with State Farm as owning a 1999 Impreza Coupe and a 1986 Subaru GL Sedan...ROFL :lol:

alright, spent a little while with the car.

i know the hill holder is disconnected, the long threaded shaft doesn't have a nut on the end, so it doesn't catch when the clutch is engaged. the clutch return spring looks pretty weak, although new. i wonder if a heavier spring would help my clutch action feel better. right now it's heavy to push in, but it doesn't release really smooth like it should. i'll try lubricating the cable as well, although it looks pretty tough to do so.

the paint on the trunk lid looks like it used to have a small semi-spoiler on the back, which only went around the trunk key lock, probably about a foot in length, that also goes down the back of the trunk about 5 inches.

on the rear plate you can read 4WD TURBO in red, and the small RX sticker in the corner, which is really tough to see.

i took some pics, i'll start a new thread with the pics.

thanks ;)

Ben, the hill holder and it's cable is the factory return spring.

The bell crank on the HH has a spring wound so it will return to the released position. This spring is suppose to be the clutch return spring when connected.

The problem you are expierencing sounds like

a) the cable is about to go south (frayed on the inside, although your idea of lubricating it is very good)

B) the cable was replaced at some point and routed incorrectly, this could cause some binding.

BTW.

The clutch return spring makes it harder to push the pedal as you must stretch the spring to do so.

I like my HH, it takes a little experiementing to get it adjusted but I feel they are a nice and quite unique feature.

Good luck looking forward to the picts. The factory trunk lip spoiler went all the way across the trunk.

Originally posted by Skip

The problem you are expierencing sounds like

a) the cable is about to go south (frayed on the inside, although your idea of lubricating it is very good)

B) the cable was replaced at some point and routed incorrectly, this could cause some binding.

BTW.

The clutch return spring makes it harder to push the pedal as you must stretch the spring to do so.

I like my HH, it takes a little experiementing to get it adjusted but I feel they are a nice and quite unique feature.

the cable looks brand new, i'm pretty sure it was replaced about a month ago when the clutch was replaced. i'm thinking whoever replaced it didn't hook everything back up right. i'll go take a pic and post it up.

thanks!

the hill holder cable fits thru a pin on the clutch fork. the nut has a curved edge that fits the curcumfrence of thet pin, when you turn it, it locks into place each half turn.

you might be able toget away with regular nuts, but you will have to double them up to lock them into place.

the tread is the same as the 8mm nuts on the coil, se if you can find a 10mm nut with the same hole if you cant find the proper nut for replacement.

i believe all manuals after 82 have the hill holder. the nut will be the same for all models

yes, that's the hill holder. get it hooked up and adjusted and you can ditch that spring that someone added. if you adjust it too tight it'll work on level surfaces too, and kill the car when you try and take off :P

I saw an RX at the JY that was very unusual. It was an 87 sedan so it had no body kit; it looked like an 85-86 RX.. but the interior was like the white three doors'... it had the mild gray RX seats and a full time locking diff tranny, which the 85-86 doesn't have. weird stuff! yeah I got the LSD and the VIN.. Corky?

JF2AC56B1HG22195, another dead soldier :D

Ben, mighty fine looking RX, well done sir.

Going back to your original problem. The cable binding or "hard to push down pedal" is probably not caused by the HH not being connected. It may help though. A simple test to see if the aux spring is causing this, is to disconnect the spring and push the pedal. Do not operate the car without some form of clutch return spring.

As I mentioned the routing of the cable can cause problems.

A common problem is running the cable above the steering shaft. Placing it between the shaft and the brake booster. This is incorrect as it should run under the steering shaft. Hope this helps. BTW the HH works via a "check ball valve" which rolls back and seals when the car is on an incline and the clutch is disengaged.