Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How many converts here?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im picking up a 1983 Toyota pickup with 4x4 and a 5 speed and the 22R motor for around 1600.plus it comes with a nice set of mud tires.I will post pics when its in my driveway.I have sell the sube and finish up my derby car before I can even start putting money into it.

I don;t have a Toyota, but the last like 3 times I've gone wheeling, it's been in my 92 4WD Dodge truck... Don't have any action shots of it though since I usually go wheeling at night and the flash on my digi sucks... (And yes I did wheel a Subaru before that, and I still would except it's sitting out at my friend's farm cuz I don't have a spot for it, plus it's not lifted so it doesn't go very far...)

I made the switch last July. I love having solid axles.:banana:

Mmmm...

Just recently did I decided to give up on the Subaru and move to something alittle more capable. ...

Again: Mmmm...

... It's just it cost so damn much to register and insure a car in Australia :( ...

Well... Here in my Country, you are not obligated to insure any car, only if you want to... And the fees for old cars are Cheapo! :D

Also: it is Possible to Bring "Solid Axles" (just in the Back - and even convert it to a RWD only) to a Subaru... here I saw two EA81 carryng 1983 (+/-) Toyota Corolla Rear Diff`s... but with "Solid Axles" they loose the "Fun" :-\

Other Thing: Your Toyotas are Nice!!! ... but I personally Don`t like the Idea of Changin` a Subaru for a Toyota... Maybe keep `em Both! icon10.gif

well that's your opinion and you can keep it that way. when you get into the wheeling that eric, ken, brian, greg and a few others of us get into. it's a different ball game, grenading subaru parts on every trip and having to constantly dump money into it for another trail run. cause cv's suck, stub axles suck, subaru birfaileds suck, and independent suspension sucks for the big boy trails. i've been there and done that on the hard trails, in subies and solid axles. i'll take solid axles any day over another weak independent suspension vehicle.

I would have loved to keep both my Lifted Sube and get a Toyota. But it was the death of my 2nd lifted subaru to push me to get the toyota. And then the parts I sold from said Subaru funded the Toyota.

Living in California, only about 2% of the trails here are Subaru trails. The other 98% are extreme granite rock covered hills, crevases and slabs. The 2% i spoke of are mostly forest service roads, and its cool and all but its like driving down a dirt road. most trails I'd take the Subaru on I would end up turning around 3/4 the way through.

That, and I have 0 off-road Subaru friends near me. My closest off-road Subaru buddies live 2hrs away in Reno Nevada, Jeremy (subieman) and Jibs. Even though I have a blast everytime I go wheeling with them, I cant afford to drive 2hrs each way everytime I want to get my rig dirty.

On the other hand, I work with 3 people who have trail rigs. 1 jeeper and 2 toyota's. My parents neigbor is a jeeper, and he has a few friends with Toyota's. The company I work for, our other stores have a handfull of Toyota owners and I just got sick of hearing about their weekend trips while I listen in knowing full well my Subaru could never hang where they go.

So

The natural progression would be to join them. You know the saying, "if you cant beat them, join them". When an affordable Toyota showed up on craigslist, i did what I had to do to get it and I got it.

So... sorry if your sick of the Toyota talk, just remember. We all still have Subarus and much love for em. Its just now, we wont break one when we spend a weekend in the woods :)

-Brian

So... sorry if your sick of the Toyota talk, just remember. We all still have Subarus and much love for em. Its just now, we wont break one when we spend a weekend in the woods :)

-Brian

agreed.

every time I went wheeling last summer. I had a white-knuckled trip home because I bent or destroyed some major suspension component....

if I had wheeled any longer doing the same trails I was doing (most definitely not all the local ORV park has to offer), my subaru would have resembled ground beef by now....

so I got a chance on the most solid 1st gen 4Runner I've ever seen in MN for a steal (again...for a clean one here in the rust belt), and I jumped on it. once I get the suspension done on my wagon, I'll be able to sink some money into the yota, and really enjoy it!

a Toyota is like a subaru's big tough brother. that's why so many of us have moved that direction

The way I see it, Subaru's aren't meant for the heavy stuff. It wasn't in the engineers minds for one to be lifted and beaten to death. I like the looks of a lifted Subaru, but I couldn't do it to one myself because I'd never use it. Most of the places where the guys go around here would eat a subaru alive and spit it back out twisted.

When the day comes that I have the extra money and desire for a real off road experiance It'll be in a Yota.

I'm not going to bash the other makes or say how great Subaru's are for offroading, but I do visit other boards too. And I see all the other rigs there that have catastophic breakdowns on the trail.

If you wheel it hard enough, its going to break, no matter what you own.

If its been built poorly, its going to break.

If it has old parts on it, its going to break.

If you cant drive it, or pick the right line, its going to break.

Now, for what its worth...

Subaru's for offroading is cheap. If you dont go hogwild and go with a t-case and straight axle, yada yada..

Its fun. Its alot of fun to embarass the other more capable rigs on the trail, if you know what your doing.

If you like to see people almost break thier necks when you drive by and wonder what your driving, then a modified Subaru is the ticket.

But they all break, sooner or later.

Maybe a Soob will do it more often. But if you know what your doing, it just might last a little longer before something does break.

I see a tire off the ground back there :)

In my mind, it's a Subie, it's not suppose to compare. They are a completely different animal for different kind of people that have a need for Subaru's "good" abilities. Well, most of the time this is true. Theres no way you can bag a Toyota offroad, but you can bag it about it's onroad. Same applies to Subaru only vice versa.

Well that's just what I think. Toyota's are awesome and rock the rocks, don't get me wrong. Subaru's just have a thing about them. Good starters and crossovers.

Still waiting on those lockers from the US to arrive for the 4Runner.

In my mind, it's a Subie, it's not suppose to compare. They are a completely different animal for different kind of people that have a need for Subaru's "good" abilities. Well, most of the time this is true. Theres no way you can bag a Toyota offroad, but you can bag it about it's onroad. Same applies to Subaru only vice versa.

Well that's just what I think. Toyota's are awesome and rock the rocks, don't get me wrong. Subaru's just have a thing about them. Good starters and crossovers.

Still waiting on those lockers from the US to arrive for the 4Runner.

That is all good and all, but this isn't about Subaru's(read the title). I still own Subaru. I still race Subaru. Hell, I probably still bleed a little blue and gold. But, I choose to wheel a 'yota!

many, many reasons i converted. a lot has to do with after market and well built parts readily available. i'm tired of custom making or getting someone to custom make everything. overall they are built stronger. the 31" tires weren't enough. the suby is great in the mud for diff clearance, but hung on every ledge and rock underneath while crawling. i had zap, my dad, and another buddy eric pushing at me for years to get a solid axle. then i collected up a rebuilt 4.7 twin stick yota case, 1/4 ellip springs, locked and loaded dana 44 axles... down the line for lil' roo. eric kind of kicked and beat at me to get a toyota. well not hard, :rolleyes: it was fairly easy to convince me. and a lot of the parts i had bolted to the toyota. now i haven't really wheeled my toyota much any, but i've driven both eric's i knows trucks and i've seen them walk over all sorts of stuff i struggled to get over in the car. i'm taking my yota, rebuilding and trussing the axles and tcase's and over the next year will have all the major parts rebuilt. suspension travel is well over what roo ever would do...