Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How many converts here?

Yeah, but can you drive it on the street? Not saying I'm quite legal(Ken and I had a close call Sunday) but I dont have a trailer and tow rig. So I have to drive where I wheel.

That's the easy part. I trailer my rig because I choose to! It could very easily be legal. Eric drives his in and out every time he wheels. Greg does the same with his when he chooses to!!

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

at the crawl 4 the cure last summer, there was a pair of SAS'd (both were originally IFS) 1st gen 4runners. both on 35" tires. both had driven up from the twin cities (healthy 4 hours, speeding). and I guess they both drove them to MOAB that same year.

yea, pretty streetable.

Flex would be necessary if you wanted to go back up that hill. :Flame:

I didn't need any flex tonight while I was clearing blackberries behind the garage. :headbang:

12-15 feet tall, the truck ate right thru them. "SCREEEEEEEEEEE" I stopped after about half of what I wanted to clear, There's a hill somewhere in there, and I want to clear out some of the lower stuff before I fall off some unseen cliff. The winch is pointed into the blackberries as I go, it won't be good for much.

Did I mention the little soldier logged some 300 miles running back and forth between my old house and my new one as I moved? 11 loads. I love my Toyota. A hatchback would have been useless.

A trailer queen woulda been pretty useless too. A Bobbed bed woulda been next to useless.

Did I mention the little soldier logged some 300 miles running back and forth between my old house and my new one as I moved? 11 loads. I love my Toyota. A hatchback would have been useless.

A trailer queen woulda been pretty useless too. A Bobbed bed woulda been next to useless.

yep that's why when I put the flatbed on it will be a FUNCTIONAL flatbed :cool:

this truck made the 600 mile round trip to go pick up the solid axle for the front, and a bunch of parts for my friend's truck. plus I can haul my 4wheeler in it :lol:

DING, DING, DING, DING!!!!!!! We have a winner Jay, what has he won?!?!??

I can't afford that right now, but thumbs up to those that can.

mine will be a diesel running backwoods biodiesel a buddy makes and will sell me for $1.40/gallon :eek:

hell yes :headbang:

the weekend of june 1st we went to our camp for my brother's bachelor party. it's 20 miles back on a private dirt road.

The night before we went my girlfriend and I stayed in a tent on some of her mom's land in the foothills of the adirondacks

DSCN2436small.JPG

DSCN2456small.JPG

the rest of the pics and some movies are here http://nnyoffroad.com/~dertow/outside/6-1-2007/100NIKON/

while we were at camp we loaded the back of the toyota up with rocks and built a fire pit back at camp.

unfortunately we were a little :drunk: and I forgot to take pics of it sagging.

yesterday I split up a cord of wood and moved it across the property with the toyota.

THANK YOU PICKUP TRUCK

the legacy would've sucked for this stuff

I wanna say its a 3" body lift. Too me it looks like its taller than 3" but the lift blocks dont look it. And i doubt theres any suspension lift.

The tires are 29" Swampers. I got a buddy with some 33's he's gonna give me... but I dont know if I want to trade the swampers for BFG M/T's. We'll see.

-Brian

I wanna say its a 3" body lift. Too me it looks like its taller than 3" but the lift blocks dont look it. And i doubt theres any suspension lift.

The tires are 29" Swampers. I got a buddy with some 33's he's gonna give me... but I dont know if I want to trade the swampers for BFG M/T's. We'll see.

-Brian

bfg m/t's are pretty durable tires! i ran them on the car all over the rocks in the az dessert. they last a hell of a lot longer than the swampers ever will, especially on the street.

Well the set im looking at getting are kinda worn in the front. I would say maybe 30%-40% tread left on the front tires. Rear's look good.

Still, 33's are 33's and i can tell i am running 29's when i hit the rocks. Another thing that bothers me is the 3ply sidewalls. I believe the Swampers I have are 6 ply but im not 100% on that. Regardless, swampers are some mean tires and Im in love with mine. However, a brand new set of 33" swampers will put me just under $1000 :(

-Brian

Still, 33's are 33's . . .

However, a brand new set of 33" swampers will put me just under $1000 :(

-Brian

Aren't there any local 4X boards near you? I scored my 33s used for $450, they were like new. I like them better than Super Swampers.

Pirate4x4 is pretty local. And yeah, i see 33's on there all the time. Problem is they are gone in like 15min.

Craigslist has also been my friend. But my buddy here at work with these 33's is willing to give me a screamin deal on em. So i may just get them and wheel em a season or two until I can afford new swampers.

1st thing 1st... i gotta get the 22R to fire on all 4, and maybe (just maybe) get tags for it :)

-Brian

well i didn't really have any problems with the sidewalls on the bfg's. hell they use them in the baja races. those sidewalls on mine were very beefy. just don't over air them down. other than that great tires. as for the radial design, they are one of the stronger radial mud tires out there. swamper radial's sidewalls suck balls. if you get another set of swampers, stay away from the radials. get the belted bias plys or bias plys.

Today I decided to convert from my Subaru Powered VW Vanagon to an 88 Toyota Minivan.

Its got a 2.2L engine that unfortunately is under the front seats but its a pushrod engine, the trans is a 5spd instead of a 4 and it really cruises along nicely, the A/C works awesome and it looks better than the Vanagon (IMO OF COURSE).

Vanagon ad to follow in a few days.