Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 DOJs on EA81

newsoobdude

Alright. I'm a stupid newbie when it comes to Roos (I'll be the first to admit it) and all and since my Brat is STILL down for the count (headgaskets), I'm wondering about the DOJs from an EA82 on an EA81. What are they and how do I do it? It seems they help increase wheel travel and since my Brat will be getting an SJR 4 or 6 inch lift, I'd like to increase the wheel travel as well and make this thing overall stronger. Did I mention I have a parts EA82 4X4 and might be getting a 90 4X4 also for parts, plus access to more EA82s for parts and goodies? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The ball joint stays EA81, you just swap in the EA82 cup. Most of the EA82 shafts have a CV on the outter, so if you get the cups from the diff side (which I think fit on both sides of the EA81 shaft) then you get more extension out of them because the EA82 cups are longer.

• 4 years later...

Bringing an old thread back from the dead I never realized I never thanked you Phizinza. Sorry about that and thank you. I was searching for this mod so I can finally get my BRAT back on the road and found this thread. Surprised it's not in the Repair Manual that I could find. It's a great mod I hear and granted an old one but for the Noobs or slow to work it's good to have a hard copy able to be found.

First gen Legacy Rear DOJs are even deeper, and fit in the same manner.

yep.I have super duper stretchy axles on the rear of my EA81.Ea81 shaft and inner race/balls/cage then first gen legacy Cups...It takes 4 legacy axles to make 2 rear axles.I spent a day at pull and save...