Ultimate Subaru Message Board

how fast am i going?

basic info- 86 xt turbo, auto, 103,000 miles, push button awd.

mods- intercooler, AFC, 10 psi, spark plugs & wires, exhaust, intake(hks high flow) w/ cold box, super coil, hyper ground kit, eletric radiator fan, intercooler fan

also where can i get upgrade intake manifold, injectors, cams, strut tower?

what kind of turbo upgrade can i do? wrx? legacy?

is there anything i should do to tran before raising boost? dont wanna blow anything.

would i beable to put 2 breathers? 2 heads and all :) j/w

what thermostat? 160 or 170?

Mr. Nguyen

Sioux Falls, SD

if you can find a 170 that would be good for driving it hard. you dont want it too cool, but you want the room for error, so to spaek.

my buddy has a 160 in the rx, it is a hair below the middle of the temp ga, but it will still warm up to OT when being driven hard enough., but it is less prone to get hot, also.

try an xt spider intake, it will let you use ej motor stuff.

if you can get an xt-6 suspension, you can use impreza/legact wheels, knuckle, strut, and axle on the front, and impreza/legac wheels and brake rotor on back, with ea 82 rear suspension and axles

but to use that, you will need either a full time turbo automatic, an rx trans, or a pushbutton 4wd 5spd from a turbo, for the spline count on the impreza axles

get a fatter exhaust down pipe past the turbo

the xt manifold will boly to the turbo multi port heads. th einjector and fuel rails will be compatible. the only thing i dont know is how the turbo will connect to the spider intake. havent had one to mess with.....

the fuel rail might be routed differently, but it will hook up to the fuel hose end, and the injectors ae the same as all mpfi, including turbo and ea81T

Well Donald missed a few crucial items. The spider intake (standard on the mid 87 XT and onward) is wired for a hot wire Mass Air Flow sensor. The 86 XT in question will have from the factory a vane style MAF. This modification would require the coolant sensor and more importantly the throttle position switch/sensor swapped over. There is also no provision on the spider intake for the EGR fitting. Some form of blocking plate must be fabricated.

The wiring harness connectors will also be different.

Plumbing the fuel in and the fuel return lines could be accomplished as the fuel pressure regulator is incorporated in the fuel line system.

As for MF's statement "try an xt spider intake, it will let you use ej motor stuff" we will have to let him go into detail here, as the heads and spark system are different.

You can use a different turbo unit, flanges for the crossover and downpipe will need changed and the turbo outlet to your intercooler will need adjusted. Twin blowers? The master cyl. and distrib. and steering may make that a bit of a challenge.

If you do a search on turbocharges in this forum you will find links to creating a hybrid Tcharger.

From reading the mods you have done, you seem to have a very good handle on how to twist a wrench, these modifications are very doable.

As for your thermostat question, the 180 deg stat is a common swap, but for the winter months the factory Tstat (88 deg C commonly called 190 deg F) gives the best heat.

A close check of the radiator fins is advisable. With a 180 deg F thermostat the gauge should show approx 1/4 scale.

Delta Cams sells some nice stuff, WJM just put a set in his EA82T

here is their website

http://www.deltacam.com/

The 3AT transmission you are running is not known for it's efficiency. These have been known to loose the seal between the tranny and the diff, this allows the fluids to intermix.

A swap to a manual is a desirable option. The RX full time 4wd 5speed (10 speed as it's hi/low is shiftable at any speed) is the cat's meow or mutts nutz as I say.

Hope this helps.