Ultimate Subaru Message Board

UPDATE: Group buy on door weatherstrip

I dont remember what the stage 2 vehicles use, BUT I have a 77 stage one I am trying to get roadworthy again as fast as possible. ALL the weatherstrip is garbage and falling out of the car. I have found a company (Trim-Lok inc.) that sells the perfect replacement push-on weatherstrip for my Gen 1 wagon.

Figure it takes about 10-11 feet per door, and a minimum order is 250 ft.

To be on the safe side lets say 50 feet for a wagon. I have no idea what a coupe or a sedan would be.

figuring in tax and shipping (company is here in california) It comes just shy of $1.00 per foot

like I said this is the push-on style that grabs onto the pinchweld, and the bulb diameter is 3/8" and the metal part that grips onto the pinchweld is meant for 1/16" thick.

I want to get this stuff ordered pretty quick so I can be ready for WCSS9, so I need another 4-5 ish people that are interested in getting some brand new weatherstrip for their old subaru.

-Mike

Like I said, its been a while since I had a stage 2 gen 1.. Moosens, can you verify that they also use a pinch-on style weatherstrip?? Rich, if you read this can you dash out to your brat real quick and verify?

Figure with freight $50 for a 4 door car, $30ish for a 2 door. I need to call the company up and talk to them on tuesday to make sure we are getting what we are looking for.

-Mike

I replaced the door rubber of my 1974 coupe with a generic type available in Australia that works really well, and I would imagine this would be similar to what you guys would get in the US. Only difference is the 'bulb' part of the rubber is joined completely to the pinch weld, like an 'O'. The original rubber is more like a 'C' attached to the pinch weld on one side only. The replacement works well, however, despite this difference.

The difference makes it difficult to fit the little black, plastic corner pieces that screw into each corner. There is two for two door models and 4 for the rest.

The above only applies to Gen 1 stage 1 door rubbers. Stage 2 door rubbers are completely different (At least in Australia!) in that they are moulded to shape and have 90 degree corners and hence no need for the corner piece to hide the paint. There is also a double 'bulb' instead of single, most likely for better sealing against the glass. These rubbers are much larger visually as well.

I hope this all makes sense! Just thought I would add my 2 cents. Now what I really want is coupe rear side glass rubbers!!!:lol:

I replaced the door rubber of my 1974 coupe with a generic type available in Australia that works really well, and I would imagine this would be similar to what you guys would get in the US. Only difference is the 'bulb' part of the rubber is joined completely to the pinch weld, like an 'O'. The original rubber is more like a 'C' attached to the pinch weld on one side only. The replacement works well, however, despite this difference.

The difference makes it difficult to fit the little black, plastic corner pieces that screw into each corner. There is two for two door models and 4 for the rest.

The above only applies to Gen 1 stage 1 door rubbers. Stage 2 door rubbers are completely different (At least in Australia!) in that they are moulded to shape and have 90 degree corners and hence no need for the corner piece to hide the paint. There is also a double 'bulb' instead of single, most likely for better sealing against the glass. These rubbers are much larger visually as well.

I hope this all makes sense! Just thought I would add my 2 cents. Now what I really want is coupe rear side glass rubbers!!!:lol:

I have that same problem with my GLF... 1/4 inch gaps on both sides between the windows. I cruise with the windows down 90% of the time anyway, but I imagine it will be a problem come winter

Mike I have been gone on vacation. I will take a look tomorrow.

Like I said, its been a while since I had a stage 2 gen 1.. Moosens, can you verify that they also use a pinch-on style weatherstrip?? Rich, if you read this can you dash out to your brat real quick and verify?

Figure with freight $50 for a 4 door car, $30ish for a 2 door. I need to call the company up and talk to them on tuesday to make sure we are getting what we are looking for.

-Mike

when i was looking for door seals for the '75 i tried the ones off my '79 and they were totally different. molded corners, and a different sized flap. i can pull one off tomorrow and get a good length measurement. i ended up using the 3/8 bulb push-on type, scored 90ft chunk off ebay for cheap.

-mike

So definately Stage 1 only cars.

Count myself in for 50 feet

Moosens how much do you want?

SubyLuvr2212 did you want a 50 foot cut? Which is plenty for 4 doors

Subaru3 you want 50 feet right?

I recieved my sample of the product today, the stuff is awesome. Its a stiff pinch that wont slide off like other cheap stuff, and yet its bendable to fit the radius in the corners. The bead is soft rubber that will fit to door nicely, not foam thats too stiff and will deteriorate.

Long story short, I love this product, and I think you guys will love it too.

Remember this comes in 250 foot lengths, so its either 1 roll or two. If I get enough people to put us halfway between a roll, then I might just stock it and sell it to whomever needs it down the road.

We need a Stage I (72-77) and stage II (77-79 and to 81 for Brat).

Let's get serious about a bulk purchase of each because without question EVERY Stage I car will need them regardless of where you live or the conditions.And soon,every Stage II vehicle will need them too.

We've kicked this around in the last couple of years and now it's time to just DO IT.

So,whoever checks any stock,please check on each style.

We hope to have a cross section of each.I'll try to remember my camera since I have both styles.

The PRP catalog lists many styles as well.Maybe they have a match for us.If so,we are already established with them as a group.

If you can locate weatherstrip for stage 1 that matches the picture I would certainly be interested in enough for a coupe, who cares about the cost of shipping!

Without checking I think 7.5 metres would cover what I need. So that would be around 25 ft.

Just to confirm, if weather strip can be found that matches the picture count me in!

Yeah, thats what came out of my wagon too. What I am going to order wont look EXACTLY the same.. its not quite as "bulky" making it fit in those coorners a little better, and it uses a bulb that is pretty flexible. anyway, I will post a pic of the sample they sent me tomorrow. Hopefully I will make an order by the end of the week.. more details tomorrow folks

I will post a pic of the sample they sent me tomorrow. Hopefully I will make an order by the end of the week.. more details tomorrow folks

Now you're talkin',baby!!!:headbang:

I will gladly cover whatever we determine we need per Stage II wagon TIMES TWO.So if you need say 75 ft. per wagon then I want 150 ft.,at least.There's another Stage II project in the coming years.:cool:

And,if we get Stage I again,I'll cover 2 times a fourdoor.That should cover the fourdoor and the coupe.No other stage I on the horizon,but I think one day I'm going to get a Stage I 4WD wagon again.

Paypal all loaded up right now.Or a check or M/O...let me know.

We doing a group buy and someone distributing or each order drop shipped from the supplier or what?

OK, seriously guys.. howcome we started talking about all this Stage 2 stuff? I dont have a stage 2 car right now. All I've got is my own stage 1 wagon... HOWEVER... seeing as there is a demand, I will go look at subyguy's brat ASAP and see if TRIM-LOK makes us a product that will fit the bill..

As far as how this is going to work. I am going to convice my boss to add the product to our company (rotordyne) and you should be able to order it thru the website. Whether it be for a stage 1 or a stage 2 (assuming I can get something)

Then for all eternity we will be able to replace the worn out weatherstrip on our old subies, and the world will be at peace. (BTW, just so you know, if you guys want me to make the product readily available, I WILL NEED those who want to buy it, to do so ASAP, so my non-profitable company wont go bankrupt, lol)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...