Ultimate Subaru Message Board

4EAT More Confusion from Subaru

The new 5EAT AT uses a very difficult to find AT fluid. That's a well known fact. But recent model year Subarus with the 4EAT AT ALSO require the same rare stuff. In point of fact, my 06 Forester requires the same "special" ATF that's about as easy to get as lizard milk.

So....... Genuine Subaru AT Fluid Type-HP is a permanent fluid. Under "normal" driving conditions it never needs to be changed. Are you guys "buying this"? Are you willing to bet your tranny on this new AT fluid?

Also, if you get an AT leak on the road with the new 4EAT GOOD LUCK finding Type-HP or Castrol Transmax J at a service station or auto parts store. Break down on a Sunday, and you're probably stuck until Monday when the closest Subaru dealer opens up.

The "old" 4EAT worked really well. Change the Dextron 3 every 30,000 miles, and drive the car forever. Subaru "fixed" something that wasn't broken. Whatever you do, don't let anyone put Dextron 3 in your late model 4EAT, because it will ruin it.

Yeah, I'm sure there's absolutely NO chance that one of these "quicky lube" places might put Dextron 3 in your tranny. Yeah, rest easy.

The new 5EAT AT uses a very difficult to find AT fluid. That's a well known fact. But recent model year Subarus with the 4EAT AT ALSO require the same rare stuff. In point of fact, my 06 Forester requires the same "special" ATF that's about as easy to get as lizard milk.

So....... Genuine Subaru AT Fluid Type-HP is a permanent fluid. Under "normal" driving conditions it never needs to be changed. Are you guys "buying this"? Are you willing to bet your tranny on this new AT fluid?

I for one am not buying it! If I get stuck with one of these, I'm still changing it every year regardless.

It seems Subaru is making these cars less user friendly all the time. Just like the fuel filter which is now in the gas tank.

I've seen it a few places. About $6 a quart. It's Idemitsu ATF-HP. Idemitsu is a pretty big player (in Japan!)

http://www.subaruparts.com/catalog/?section=366

I do not necessarily agree with the 'lifetime' lube on any fluid. It also depends what they mean by 'lifetime'. Some manufacturers mean the length of the warranty.

This fluid has different frictional characteristics than the Dexron III. I think there is an article on EndWrench about it.

Anyone know if those 5eats are made by Jatco ? I think nissan and some others are using the jatco boxes, which I believe take that same fluid.

edit: if you buy some, pick up a few extra quarts so you can keep it in your vehicle emergency kit.

It seems Subaru is making these cars less user friendly all the time.

It would seem that they are forgetting their customers in favour of the pursuit of wealth (much like everybody else making cars).

Anyone know if those 5eats are made by Jatco ?

It wouldn't surprise me, their customer list is fairly extensive, if you poke around their website there is some fairly expensive iorn using Jatco boxes.

NISSAN MOTOR CO.,LTD.

MITSUBISHI MOTORS CORPORATION

MAZDA MOTOR CORPORATION

FUJI HEAVY INDUSTRIES LTD.

MITSUBISHI FUSO TRUCK & BUS CORPORATION

ISUZU MOTORS LIMITED

NISSAN DIESEL MOTOR CO.,LTD.

SUZUKI MOTOR CORPORATION

BMW AG

VW AG

LAND ROVER GROUP LTD

HYUNDAI MOTOR COMPANY

KIA MOTORS CORPORATION

JAGUAR CARS LTD.

GM DAEWOO AUTO & TECHNOLOGY COMPANY

LONDON TAXIS INTERNATIONAL

FORD-WERKE AG

RENAULT SAMSUNG MOTORS CO.,LTD.

FORD LIO HO MOTOR CO.,LTD.

HYUNDAI MOTOR INDIA LTD.

CHINA MOTOR CO.,LTD.

PERUSAHAAN OTOMOBIL NASIONAL BERHAD (PROTON)

SHENYANG BRILLIANCE JINBEI AUTOMOBILE CO.,LTD

SAIC CHERY AUTOMOBILE CO.,LTD

SOUTH EAST MOTOR CO.,LTD

HYUNDAI POWERTECH

CHANGAN FORD AUTOMOBILE CO., LTD.

DAIMLERCHRYSLER CORPORATION

RENAULT S.A.S.

Also, if you get an AT leak on the road with the new 4EAT GOOD LUCK finding Type-HP or Castrol Transmax J at a service station or auto parts store. Break down on a Sunday, and you're probably stuck until Monday when the closest Subaru dealer opens up.

The "old" 4EAT worked really well. Change the Dextron 3 every 30,000 miles, and drive the car forever. Subaru "fixed" something that wasn't broken. Whatever you do, don't let anyone put Dextron 3 in your late model 4EAT, because it will ruin it.

Yeah, I'm sure there's absolutely NO chance that one of these "quicky lube" places might put Dextron 3 in your tranny. Yeah, rest easy.

...More and more cars are coming with sealed units and lifetime tranny fluid (100,000mi)..One service rep told me if you plan on keeping the car for many years, then change out the fluid little sooner (60,000mi)..I wonder what happens to "this" fluid when for example somebody does a lot of trailer pulling in the hot weather..I would think that these newer products have been extensivly tested...I don't why, but for some strange reason,I still feel like a "guinea pig" in all this