Ultimate Subaru Message Board

4EAT duty c solenoid & Clutch pack replacement.

So... i got it all back together, and how when it's in AWD mode the tranny sort of ticks... i'm wondering if i missed a clutch when putting it back together... doing on launches on wet grass it seems like the AWD is working.. but very delayed, this could be due to using a used solenoid? or it could be the clutches i may have missed. OR... i put the parking switch thinger in wrong... hmmm... guess i've gotta' pull the whole thing down again :cool:

see

dont listen to me :-p

You missed a clutch or clutch plate someplace. Or you didnt get the right clutches.... or ....

nipper

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

see

dont listen to me :-p

You missed a clutch or clutch plate someplace. Or you didnt get the right clutches.... or ....

nipper

yeah yeah....

used the same clutches, so i missed one :-p

some good things that are coming of this though...

1) I'm learning how to rip out the rear extension houseing really well :cool:

2) I'm documenting it, so i can post pics

3) It keeps me busy... because i get oh so bored around here :Flame:

So, i brought the rear part into the tranny shop, and the guy said my clutches looked fine, if they were the problem they would be toasty & crispy he said, he also said not to worry about the blueing too much, on the other half, because the clutches are in there so tight, they're not going anywhere. :cool:

but yeah.. tomorrow i'll rip it out again, and see if i can take the clutch plates out 1st, and get them all on the shaft, and then connect the snap ring, and assemble the whole thing at once (the shaft + rear extension), the tranny dude said this would most likely be easier than trying to line up all the clutch plates one at a time with the thing pressed together.

:Flame:

Youll have it down in no time for the new OB

nipper

NO!

i will NOT be messing w/ the new OB :cool:

for now at least... and the OBXT is a 5sp MT, not an auto... turbo + automatic = barf :-p

well.. it is getting coilovers... but that's not transmission related... or as serious... :grin:

but yeah, the shaft end of the clutch assembly is a little grooved, and i'm guessing that may have something to do with it...

so i MAY take nipster's advice and get some new parts.... what a wierd idea... :-p i guess i can't be cheap all the time...

nice job getting it back together.

how did you figure out you "missed" a clutch plate?

I'm guessing... some deductive reasoning...

mainly the clicking noise, and the partial activation of the AWD.

I did some wet-grass launches, and the front wheels spun for a second and then the rears cought. :cool:

It may be too late, but sometimes on the plates there is a specific order and direction they need to go back in (especially since you didnt replace them).

Make sure they are all absolutly flat. If the have a slight angle to them they all need to be pointed in the same direction.

Besides, you can do this in your sleep now :)

nipper

wouldn't the missing clutch plate be lying on your work bench? i've never replaced them, so im' not sure how they work exactly, just trying to picture it, probably easier to wait until i have to do it!

hah, no :-p

you see, there's a shaft with a hexal-type design, that slides into the clutch packs (the orange ridged thingers in the pic ont he 1st page), but the problem is that each clutch pack can move independently (in the rotational direction), so if you turn the shaft ever so slightly when assembling it, you'll knock the clutches out of... straightness, so you have to take the shaft out, and try again.. :cool:

this next time i'm going to try and remove the shaft, AND the clutch plates, assemble them on the shaft thinger, then put it back into the rear extension housing, and finnally put the snap ring on, hopefully then i'll be able to keep the shaft bottomed out in the rear extension housing, while trying to get it back in the car :cool:

It's wicked humid out today... under the car is soaking wet still i may put off working on it till it dries out a bit... yeah.. i'm a wuss... but at the end of the day i have to drive back in the OBXT... and i don't want to to get her dirty :-p

*bites tounge*

nipper

you're a punk nipster :Flame:

anyhow, THE PLOT THICKENS@!

so... after being bored, i descided that i'd work on it some more, pulled it all down (less than 1.5 hours!~ go me!) re-seated all of the clutch plates, do-did the snap ring, i even pressure tested it! (you blow air through a hole, and the clutches engage, you can see it... when i post pics). So i descided that i didn't want to mess w/ stuff, so i ripped out the back end of the drive shaft, so i could test the AWD with the vehicle still on the jack stands, and not have it jump off the ramps in the back:cool:

So, with that all done, and the rear extension slammed back into the car i fired her up! sounded good, no extra lights, except the FWD light, because the fuse was in, so first i put it in drive, in FWD mode, and look under the car, i've got a front wheel spinning, and the driveshaft, so i grab the drive shaft, and it stops spinning, mind you it's idling right now, so i give it a little throttle and i'm able to hold the drive shaft, no problem.

Ok, so with that all done i pull the FWD fuse and do it again, first idling, it did the same as FWD, i could stop the shaft no problem, but with a little throttle, the driveshaft ripped itself out of my hand.

SO, i'm assuming that the AWD is working.

After a few shifts through all the gears to get fluid all through the tranny i got under the car and noticed that the noise was back! oh no!

but this time i realized that it didn't sound like a skipping clutch it's more of a buzzing noise... so i shut her down. and get frustrated, have some choise words with the car, and then start my detective work...

at first i tap the rear extension with a hammer a bit to make sure everything is seated, still making the noise... have some more choise words with it... then i just turn the ignition to the 'ON' position.. and what do you know.. it starts making the noise... without the engine running... so my logic tells me it's an electric problem... and the only thing electric in that housing is the solenoid! so it's got to be the solenoid!

i SUPPOSE i could get a new solenoid... damn you nipster and your 'rebuilding' and 'replacing' stuff with new parts... blasphemy!!

oh yeah... i got a TON of pics of the clutch system :rolleyes:

:clap:

you're a punk nipster :Flame:

i SUPPOSE i could get a new solenoid... damn you nipster and your 'rebuilding' and 'replacing' stuff with new parts... blasphemy!!

oh yeah... i got a TON of pics of the clutch system :rolleyes:

MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

:clap::headbang::clap::headbang::grin::banana:

nipper

Does anyone know how the parking mechanism goes back in? :-\

it came out the 1st time i pulled the rear housing... can't seem to make it keep the wheels from spinning :banghead:

i think i'm just putting the spring on wrong... anyone have an exploded view that they care to share?

Does anyone know how the parking mechanism goes back in? :-\

it came out the 1st time i pulled the rear housing... can't seem to make it keep the wheels from spinning :banghead:

i think i'm just putting the spring on wrong... anyone have an exploded view that they care to share?

maybe these real time pics wil help. see if 'image013' helps. 3 down 2ND from the left.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v204/All_talk/Subaru/4EAT/?

maybe these real time pics wil help. see if 'image013' helps. 3 down 2ND from the left.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v204/All_talk/Subaru/4EAT/?

yeah... i have it in like that.. wierd

i'll make sure the spring is oriented right :confused:

so... another question.. anyone know the part number on the grooved part here: the one that the clutch plates go around:

DSC05831.jpg

i'm pretty sure that it's supposed to be...not grooved :cool:

yeah... i have it in like that.. wierd

i'll make sure the spring is oriented right :confused:

so... another question.. anyone know the part number on the grooved part here: the one that the clutch plates go around: i'm pretty sure that it's supposed to be...not grooved :cool:

i can't help with the part number, but, somewhere i read,,, that the trans side of this shaft and the 'whatever-it-is-called' was welded together. this sounded so strange to me i didn't believe it. but before you go and start tearing it apart , you might double check.

i found this unbelievable info when looking for the difference between AWD and FWD.

FWIW.

Andyo, its called the MPT Clutch hub. and no its not supposed to have those deep marks in it. That means it was eating or one or more of the clutch discs got locked up, like somone threw a switch ......

Thats not good.

I have some PDfs i can send you to show it.

nipper

I happened to have the FSM for my '99 Outback open in Acrobat, so I looked at the tranny section.

Andyjo, you're asking about the thing on the main transmission housing that connects to the transfer clutch pack, right? That's called the Reduction Drive Shaft. The FSM shows that the part in your picture is one piece with the shaft behind it. The gear and bearing behind it are pressed on. The FSM calls for a strange looking puller to remove the assembly.

Hope the picture helps, as I don't really know any more about it. I've never opened a tranny.

Reduction_Gear.jpg

yeah, it's def. not welded on there, but it is pressed on there mighty tight.

i'll email jamie and see what i can get for part numbers and such.

i figured i might do what nipster said and get 'new' parts.. so that part there, along with the clutch plates, and solenoid.

the prices don't look that bad on genuinesubi parts

i think it was 63 for the solenoid, and 103 for the plates i think.

and yeah.. it looks like i could press the part off if i were careful... or just have a shop do it :-p

yeah, it's def. not welded on there, but it is pressed on there mighty tight.

i'll email jamie and see what i can get for part numbers and such.

i figured i might do what nipster said and get 'new' parts.. so that part there, along with the clutch plates, and solenoid.

the prices don't look that bad on genuinesubi parts

i think it was 63 for the solenoid, and 103 for the plates i think.

and yeah.. it looks like i could press the part off if i were careful... or just have a shop do it :-p

Thats not a normal part to get replaced, so you may have a bit of a problem. Thats what we call a hardpart, and is not usually replaced. Parts like that are usually temperiture pressed.

nipper

Thats not a normal part to get replaced, so you may have a bit of a problem. Thats what we call a hardpart, and is not usually replaced. Parts like that are usually temperiture pressed.

nipper

Maybe i'll see if the junkyard will let me pull out that shaft... you never know...

• 3 years later...