Ultimate Subaru Message Board

rear toe problems

Guest Greg Donovan

for some unusual and unidentifiable reason the left rear on my 90 fwd legacy sedan is over 1 deg. toe out and will not go to zero. this is cool for rallycross but not for tire wear. anyone had this happen? 1 deg =about an inch of toe out. the car has not been hit in such a way to do this and none of the links or the spindle appear to be bent. and the rear lateral link eccentric cam bolt moves the proper amount but it gos from toe out to even more to out rather than toe out to toe in and stopping at zero along the way. i have a few options:

cut the front lateral link, shorten it and force the front to come in. but this is only fixing the symptom and not the cause. it will cost about 150 or buy 600 adjustable front lateral links from JIC. or replace alot of parts untill something finally fixes it.

i have clipped a couple curbs on the left rear fairly hard and i compete in about 10 rallycrosses a year and they are pretty hard on the car but like i said nothing is visibly bent.

thanks

greg

Guest Legacy777

nothing may be visibly bent, but you definitely have a problem. Replacing the part would probably fix it. You may want to try and grab a used link from a junkyard. Hopefully the subframe didn't get bent.

Guest meep424

hard-to-see bend at the wheel knuckle???

1 inch seems like something is broken...things don't stretch that much.

mike

Guest Greg Donovan

i had everything apart in there last week and nothing is broken the spindle is in one piece and all the links are solid. i rallycrossed the car last weekend and nothing sounded loose. in fact i have never had any odd noises from the rear in any abuse that i have doled out to the car.

greg