Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Is that a phase II? (Does that have the external spin on filter on the side of the AT case? (if it's an H4, on H6's the filter is remote mounted).

Of course you probably already know you must make sure you get an AT with the same drive ratio as your rear diff, or get the rear diff from the donor car as well.

Outback Gear Ratios (EndWrench)

When performing repairs on automatic or manual transmission Outback vehicles, be certain to check appropriate. Service materials to determine whether or not the vehicle you are working on has a different final drive ratio than a non-Outback version of the same vehicle. If a different ratio is indicated, be certain to obtain the correct matching parts while performing your repairs.

if you're replacing it yourself make sure you know exactly how to seat the torque converter. common and costly mistake if you don't. lots of info on the board here, i've posted it probably a dozen times myself.

if you want to expand your options you can go with other make transmissions, you'll just have to swap the rear diff to match the final drive ratio. depends how "exact" of an interchange you want. other than that, a junkyard or those parts databases should be able to tell you the exact interchange.

it won't be anything earlier than 1998, because yours will have a spin on trans oil filter on it that prior years do not have.

also, if it's just torque bind that you're experiencing you don't need to replace the transmission. are you sure the trans is completely toast?

Awhile ago when I was trying to figure out exactly which transmission came with what gear ratios I found a great chart that listed all the part numbers and ratios and center diff types for manual transmissions. I'm sure the same thing exists for automatics but I can't find it.

Anyway, the other issue that could be a problem between transmissions of the same 'phase' is the speed sensor. As far as I can tell the plugs and pinouts will be the same but I've heard there are mechanical and electronic speed sensors.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?p=595297

I need to replace the automatic transmission on my 1999 Legacy Outback Wagon. Can anyone tell me the years that will interchange? Thanks

check the id tag under the hood. if the trans number starts with TZ102Z2... then any 97-99 with the same 7 digits will work. if the trans number is TZ1A2... (or something like that) then you have a phase 2 trans and have to use the same. (phase 2 trans wiring harness is different). '99 phase 2 was a 1 matbe 2 year trans, by 01 they have a different part number, i think. all my soobys are 95 -97 so i tend to forget info '00 and beyond.

why do you need to replace it?

• 2 years later...
How did you come across a 2 year old thread nip?

GOOGLE

actually i screwed up :( i was going to respond to the imprezza tranny swap thread, and i had too many windows open, and posted to the wrong window.

my bad.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Just a bump on the info some swap guides may show '04 and '03 as swappable, which for at least outbacks is not the case unless you swap over the transfer duty solenoid, the awd valve, and the valve plate under the AWD valve (4 bolts total, but inside the tail housing)