Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I got hit by a deer (Now with pics)

On my way home a deer jumped out in front of a truck going the other way, he hit and it flew up took my side mirror out bent the piller between the front and back doors, put a dent in the rear door where the handle is (door still opens) put a few dings in the dack piller and shattered my left side rear window and tore some trim near lift gate. I will have pics soon and I will need to know if it can be fixed.:eek::(:mad:

On my way home a deer jumped out in front of a truck going the other way, he hit and it flew up took my side mirror out bent the piller between the front and back doors, put a dent in the rear door where the handle is (door still opens) put a few dings in the dack piller and shattered my left side rear window and tore some trim near lift gate. I will have pics soon and I will need to know if it can be fixed.:eek::(:mad:
Your lucky F&WL didn't catch you.....Hunting Season doesn't start to Fall.....:lol:

That pillar isn't a good sign. But does it leak and water? If it doesn't I really wouldn't worry about it myself...

You could get a body shop to pull it back out, most nowdays tack weld pull rods onto the metal and can get it straightened out like that. But that would probably get a little spendy if it doesn't leak.

That pillar isn't a good sign. But does it leak and water? If it doesn't I really wouldn't worry about it myself...

You could get a body shop to pull it back out, most nowdays tack weld pull rods onto the metal and can get it straightened out like that. But that would probably get a little spendy if it doesn't leak.

It has a hole between piller and window that i can slide my flat hand up to my knuckles in.If you inlarge the one pic you can see it.:(

I can sympathize, I thought I was going to be victimized this morning while driving to work. I drive a 20mi. stretch on Rt.52 along the Ohio river and all of my cohorts at work call "it running the gauntlet". I had one jump out in front of me causing me to lock them up and he just cleared my driverside front clip. Threw Mt. Dew everywhere. I`ve been fortunate. In 28yrs of beating down the same path, I`ve had hundreds of near misses and only one confimed kill. Got that one with Good Old Fashioned DETROIT IRON (79 F100). Don`t know about the rest of you, but I would luv to see my state raise the hunting limits and make it all year round. It`s starting to get ridiculous in my neck of the woods. I read a article on deer populations some time back. In Ohio, in 1970, the estimated herd was down to 3000. In that article, the census on deer population in Ohio, back in 2000 was estimated at 2 million. I hate BAMBI and I also hate Canadien Geese. They are everywhere around here and are growing even faster in numbers than the deer. I like to refer to them as winged rats.

Just one mans opinion:cool:

I'd take the trim off of the inside of the pillar and see how bent it is on the inside. I'd say it was fixable.

I was thinking the same thing..pull the inside trim and see if you can get in there and ...with alot of patience...tap it out...OR drill a couple small holes into it from the outside and use some hooks etc and pull then patch the holes and repaint???

To fix it right, I think that outer piece of the pillar needs to be removed and replaced. It'd take drilling out spot welds and making a few cuts. Weld(or have welded) the new piece and repaint.

If you're not concerned about a "professional" fix, I'd say try to spot weld pins to it and pull it back into shape using a slide hammer. But looking at it, I see it has alot of tigh folds and ridges that hold the molding. It would be hard to straighten that 100%, but maybe enough to get the window to seal though?

Time for a slide hammer, abucket of bondo, JUST KIDDING, I think it can be fixed, doesnt subarugenuine or 1st subaru still have body trim for these things??? I know they have interior trim, oh and a slide hammer might be alittle to strong for thsi one!! actually come to think of it, they do make small slide hammers so i think it would work fine!! have fun!

But I think it totaly can be fixed!!! just it will take some time, oh and is this the appropriate time to use the phrase "nuthin alittle duck-tape cant fix" :headbang:

Well the way it dented the only fix would be to cut it out and with the rust around the winsheild and the rear quarter rusting it wont be worth the $400 to get it fixed at a shop and i have no welder or $ to buy one so it looks its time to put this old beauty to rest. Im going to give it to my brother and buy a legacy wagon.:( I have had some great times in this old girl, crossing creeks In AZ up to the headlights, moving back to PA with it with 800 pounds of stuff in it and a bad carb, floating through 2 feet of snow with rain tires. So now in a month or two when the inspection runs out it will be time to say goodbye to Drangonfly. It will be a sad day indeed because it will be 4 years next week that i bought her. She just hit 21 this month to :( :( :( Ive gota go now because I dont want you all to see a grown man cry.

i tell ya what - since you dont want her anymore, you just send her up here to me. We have taken in a few that nobody wanted anymore. what little rust you are dealing with i can guarantee is nothing compared to what Brumhilda has and that little dink in the door piller - no problem, would just give me the excuse i need to get a slide hammer set...be good as new in no time.

inspections? - bah, we dont have inspections here...your little Dragonfly would live on - i could even send you pics from time to time if you wanted...

i tell ya what - since you dont want her anymore, you just send her up here to me. We have taken in a few that nobody wanted anymore. what little rust you are dealing with i can guarantee is nothing compared to what Brumhilda has and that little dink in the door piller - no problem, would just give me the excuse i need to get a slide hammer set...be good as new in no time.

inspections? - bah, we dont have inspections here...your little Dragonfly would live on - i could even send you pics from time to time if you wanted...

A slide hammer wont do it because it pushed the piiler back to and the out side is real soft metal. I took it to a bud of mine that has a body shop and he is the one that told me a slide hammer wont do it, that it needs to be cut out and replaced. He did try the slide hammer but since it is so soft and rinkled the way it is it just ripped a small hole in the metal. Oh she will live on. my brother is going to put the work into it. Im moving to another state so it would just be dead weight to tow it 500 miles and with gas prices they way they are it just isnt worth it. I cant beleive I just said that. Strange thing is that my Hororscope on that day said its time to give up somthing that you hold dear to your heart, it may be a car you have had for a while. I would sell it to one of you guys or girls but I owe my bro money so it goes to him. At least she will still be in the family. :(

dont need bucks - just need time, energy, a parts car and tools - or a freind that has tools (and can weld if you can't)

only thing that would cost would be getting the glass replaced - and even that can be done on the cheap if the parts car has good glass.

dont need bucks - just need time, energy, a parts car and tools - or a freind that has tools (and can weld if you can't)

only thing that would cost would be getting the glass replaced - and even that can be done on the cheap if the parts car has good glass.

:lol: :lol: I love reading this...you sound just like me..we just can't let these things die.. I think I have become the master of the pop-rivet ( since i dont have a welder or know how too..thinking on taking a course). And you are right..it doesnt take much money..just time and patience and tools and a creative mind if you dont have the tools. But from the sound of it ..at least Dragonfly is going to get fixed...we hope..if not looks like heartless will take her in a heartbeat ( OMG I made a funny...kinda :grin: )

He did try the slide hammer but since it is so soft and rinkled the way it is it just ripped a small hole in the metal.

somehow i missed this ^ before...

the black piece that you physically see between the windows is a trim piece - yes, it is soft - no, you shouldnt be trying to use a slide hammer on it...

all trim needs to be removed, both inside and out, to get to the meat of the situation.

I think that if you took trim off of the interior of that piller, you would see that it really isnt as bad as you think it is.... or it could be worse (but i doubt it)... :-p

the black piece that you physically see between the windows is a trim piece - yes, it is soft - no, you shouldnt be trying to use a slide hammer on it...

all trim needs to be removed, both inside and out, to get to the meat of the situation.

I think that if you took trim off of the interior of that piller, you would see that it really isnt as bad as you think it is.... or it could be worse (but i doubt it)... :-p

I did take the trim off and thats how I noticed that the whole piller is moved back about 1/4 inch. It did rain like heck last night but didnt leak!

:banana:

the black piece that you physically see between the windows is a trim piece

Uhh, I don't think so, at least not in the sense of just clipped or bolted on. It is a spot welded piece of the cars body.