Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How'd the HP's Xmas tree run go? (new photos last post)

Was a big BLAST! Can't say I've seen more Subarus gathered together very many times. We had 23? vehicles in all. The group photo is gonna be a good one, lots of people.

Nobody broke bad. Did lots of deep snow up hill stuff. Lead the way with the impreza for a while, it handled the snow like nothing. Had a harder time in the hatchback to be truthful. It has a lift, cooper mudders and a lsd.

Will tell more later, but for now, yeah what a good time.

Good to see and meet everyone.

Zap

100_0002_IMG.sized.jpg

It was certainly a lot of fun. Much more snow than last year prevented me from getting all the way to the top of the road (did anyone make it all the way up?). I made the mistake of moving too far right for a car coming downhill and the snow sucked me in. Qman was about to tow me out when a large truck offered and yanked me out of the snowbank...Ken you should change your handle to AAA man considering how many people you "assisted" in getting up the hill. Maybe QmAAAn would work!

What was also nice to see was the number of young kids that came along to enjoy the snow. A really fine family outing.

Think about the Nokia Hakkipollitta snowtires. I've got two years of use on the ones I used today and they didn't let me down until I went too far right to let someone come down the hill. I never had a problem stopping or starting on any of the hilly sections.

Guest SuperRallyRoo

N/m I had a great day! John I think u know why I didn't push ur car. I told you that u would not make the decent. And U went anyway, u also made my new snow tires all carved up by peeling out in the pavement about 3 times. Here is a link to the pics I took today, hope u like... http://usmb.net/gallery/albup31?&page=1 They are rather boring but good quality:-\

What a great time! It was good to see everyone that came. Many, many Subaru's and a few others that joined us as well. Snow was good. Weather cleared up just as we got to the camp. What a blast to see the looks from people we went past and that came and stopped to watch us play.

We had a few tense times though. Donny definitely learned how to(or not to) drive the "new to him" RX. The now infamous ice corner almost claimed another one. Donny managed to bring it to a stop a foot or two from the edge and the big Dodge pulled him back to the road. But other than that only a few tugs had to be given today.

Special thanks to Chris(Tex) and his girlfriend for staying at camp to watch over the stuff. I would like to thank everyone who attended. You all made this a trip to remember. :clap:

The hardcore award has to go to Amanda. Not only did she drive back from Wyoming but she met us before she made it back home.

My pics

An amazing turn out of cars - both new and old. Was great to see a forester, and a WRX wagon (a friend of mine).

Matt - my friend in the WRX - goes by cracker on this board I think - was very impressed with the older stuff, and rode shotgun with me as we accompanied Zap, Austin, Shawn and John up the mountain. We went further than any other group of soobs today I think. Who knows - maybe I can talk Matt into building an older lifted soob to compliment the WRX in his driveway.

Austin - although possibly somewhat crazy or unbalanced (maybe a bit of both) came all the way up with us in his stock '80 wagon with bald street tires. Managing to not get stuck once bad enough to need a pull. He did slow us up a few times cause he kept getting sidways every 100 yards or so..... lots of fun tho.

Got some great photo ops up on the mountain. Matt should have plenty for me to post..

I didn't get stuck this time at all! My new clutch (thanks Ken!) gave me a lot more confidence, and my tires have very aggressive tread allowing me to dig down to something hard.

Had a lot of fun on the rock piles at the camp site too.

I will certainly be there next year - and probably for any other HP functions I can attend...

GD

Oh, I forgot one small detail of the drive out. We came out of the woods and hit the highway. Just got it up to speed(55) and what do you think should happen? No, not that. A small herd of Roosevelt Elk decide that they are going to cross the highway in front of and behind me. This was a big herd. The cows were in the 3-400 lbs range.

Managed to shut it down in time and not cause a huge multi vehicle wreck so all was good.

Though I bet Rob will remember to do his hood pins from now on.

I saw a few of those elk biding their time just back from the road when I left...

Me and Jackie had a great time, and I hope my begging doggies didn't bug anyone too much hehe

My only regret was not introducing myself to Mark/XSNRG, and the chance to thank him personally for the fastener he sent me- I don't think I put who the blue wagon belonged to until we were just about to the bottom of the FS road on the way out..

It was great to see all the family fun too- makes me look forward to my trip "home" in Dec. that much more! I90 corridor here I come!

Caleb

That's funny Caleb, I was thinking the same thing after I left, that you were there and I didn't get to meet you...Yours is the red lifted GL with the pugs and the roof rack, right? Very nice ride indeed! I'll get to meet you on the next run for sure.

Hey I bet ya'll didn't know I was there. We got a waaay late start and didn't get to Greenwater until noon or so. I cruised all of FS roads 70, 7010, 7013(?) etc. calling on the radio, asking if anybody had seen a bunch of Subarus and nobody had. I guess the closest we came to finding you guys was when we came to a major traffic jam resulting from what was probably the extrication of the RX. Going up the main X-mas tree cutting road, I came to a bunch of SUVs turning around and walked past them to ask a guy in a big Dodge truck what the hold up was. He said there was a recovery operation going on getting (what he thought was a) two wheel drive car back onto the road. By this time I'd had enough putzing around dealing with traffic etc. so I turned it around and went back down. We found a decent tree just laying there already cut on the side of the road abandoned, tossed it on the roof and went down by the river on FS 70 for some lunch. By this time I was more than frustrated so just packed it up and called it a day. On the way home we stopped at the Goodwill store at 4-Corners. Ran into EdRach there and got the recap of days events from him.

It's beyond me how we could not find 23 Subarus in such a small area and a dang bummer we never hooked up with everybody. Wonder if my CB isn't transmitting or what?

Ken I was yellin' for ya' on channel 5 and listening on the others. Guess I'll have to do some radio checks on this hand held Midland with magnetic Wilson and see if it's getting out. That's the second time now I've wished for a bigass amp. Hmmm, maybe they're cheap now that CBs are fading in popularity. My mistake though for not asking where you guys were gonna basecamp. Being late wasn't good either but for once that wasn't exactly my fault.

We weren't sure where base was gonna be. It depended on road conditions. We made it up the hill and it looked like the road was only getting worse. So we pulled up to the gravel hill and set up. I may have to get my radio rechecked also. I didn't have it retuned since changing from the Hatch to the Brat. There will be more runs, I hope.

Yah. I didnt do it just because though. I ran from WA to WY to see my family for Thanksgiving. I came back up from Southern OR up I-5 because I had to pick something up.

By the way, from Deming, WA to Evanston, WY its only 936 miles via I-90, I-84, I-80. Its a helluva lot longer straight across and then up. (Thank you John for lettin me hang out for a few in Eugene!)

Originally posted by BlueSoob

By the way, from Deming, WA to Evanston, WY its only 936 miles via I-90, I-84, I-80.

Thats kind of a fun drive. When I moved from WA to TX, one of the legs of the journey was portland to evanston. took about 17 hours.